DIY Studs?

O

Outandabout

Interested in fitting an older pair of rubber sole wading shoes with traction studs (3/8" thread depth). Looking online, see everything from pricey manufacturer made to hardware store self tapping hex head screws being used. A good value alternative seems to be the hardened Goat Gear or Kold Kutter studs.

Any recommendations based on experience regarding what to use, where and how to install?

everyone i know that uses studs uses kold kutters. i bought the orvis ones with my boots when i got them and theyre literally just kold kutters essentially but you get just enough instead of a big bag. SMH

The Kold Kutters work, but boy do they wear down quick. They also don't offer any improvement in retention. The Goat studs are just screws also, but I can't comment on their durability...

With that said, do yourself a favor and go with some Grip Studs.

They've been recommended on this board by others and I've found them to be a great product. They grip well, are durable, and stay in your boots.

Grip Studs

Yes, they are as expensive (or more) than some of the studs from Simms and others, but they are worth it.

I switched from the kold kutters to Crampons. Kold Kutters worked well but I found them to wear down pretty fast. Much better traction from the Crampons and won't be using the kold kutters anymore.

I just use sheet metal screws

Grip studs last forever. In 3 years I've had 2 come loose, but not out, like half a turn. I've heard of them out lasting boots and getting out into new boots.

https://troutbitten.com/2018/09/09/gear-review-grip-studs-are-the-real-deal/

_ I wish I got out often enough to wear out the kold kutters. They do wear but you get a big bag so cheap. They stay in my Simms boots. Even with wear they haven’t let me slip but I’m not out like some here.

JohnPowers wrote:
They do wear but you get a big bag so cheap. They stay in my Simms boots. Even with wear they haven’t let me slip but I’m not out like some here.

I dunno man, they fell out of my Simms by just getting close to the river. But so did every other sheet metal screw style stud. In comparison the Grip Studs stayed put, even in a sole that was badly mangled by previous attempts to get screws to stay in.

Yeah, you get a huge bag of the Kold Kutters, that's great cause I ended up needing 'em.

The half inch stay put in my Simms boots but as I said I use them two dozen Times A year. From the lot to the River at the game lands on The West Branch, valley, and The Lehigh Valley so not A lot of hiking. The threads on the gripstuds look impressive.

Any time I put in screw type studs I put some epoxy on the threads before screwing them in

those grip studs look awesome thanks for the link.

Back