DIY Rod Tube/Walking Stick

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

I have a Vince Cummings 5' 3/4wt 1pc "The Brookie" currently being finished at Dreamweaver in Elizabethtown PA. These rods are rare and were only custom built to order because of not much demand. If you can find one fully built by Vince, you collect fly rods, enjoy Vince's work and enjoy short fly rods you should buy one. It will likely cost you though.

The rod and end cap are Vince Cummings originals. The maple end cap was turned by Vince himself and the blank was also cut by him. The cork/end cap and reel seat were put on by Andy Manchester of Old Yankee Rod Smiths. He really did a fabulous job. The thread and guides actually belonged to Vince and Dreamweaver is finishing these steps along with the rod finish. Its a classy little fiberglass rod that has no frills and I cant wait to fish it. Like most 1pc rods I was trying to figure out how to get it into some bushwhacking adventures but didn't want to just carry it into the jungle without protection. Obviously an issue.

I decided on a bamboo walking stick that is hollowed out to also make it double as a rod tube. I think in the end I can make a cool little piece to compliment a classic and classy rod.

Obviously the first step is finding the right piece of bamboo.I bought mine at Longenecker's in the garden section for 5 bucks. You are going to want it to be stout, long enough, enough diameter on the inside to accommodate the fly rod and straight. The piece I chose is 6' long, 2" in outer diameter, 1.5" inner diameter and the walls are 1/4 thick. It is strong and light but I will take further steps in the process to ensure its strength. I trimmed it to 5'5" and later will use padding and a rubber end cap on the bottom that touches the ground. This will add protection to the rod and will also help protect the walking stick. The padding will lift the rod up so it isn't too far in the rod tube to remove at the top.

Step 2 is to knock out the inner membranes. This is difficult because you risk cracking the bamboo. I have re-bar in the barn and used this to knock them out. Take Your TIME. Make sure you really get out all the edges of the membrane on the inside. This will make pushing a rod sock into it as a permanent fixture later a lot easier.

Step 3 is to sand and sand and sand. Bamboo has a waxy coating that will not take stain. I chose 60 coarse grit and then 180 fine grit. Pay special attention to the outside where the connecting pieces of the bamboo are. It can be difficult to get it all off but just keep at it.

I will update this thread as my progress continues. This is something I am doing while my rod is being finished and my free time permits. I will post photos of this build and the rod when its complete. Tomorrow I am going to stain the tube.
Here is the progress so far:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t76/salvelinusfontinalis/IMG_2061_zpsvi7xifww.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t76/salvelinusfontinalis/IMG_2062_zpsmv4t4rbz.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t76/salvelinusfontinalis/IMG_2063_zpswf9dkcbg.jpg

Edit: omg photobucket.... until I figure something else out. See if clicking the link gets you the picture.
There we go, now you can view the picture by clicking the link.

Are they opening for you or no?
It seemed they did on my computer but not on my phone.
Well sorry guys, if they aren't .
I don't have an account anywhere else and won't likely get one either just to post photos.
Shame photobucket sucks now.

Well I thought I maybe could embed the pictures but I can't.

I just got finished with its staining and clear coat yesterday.
It's very beautiful.
I wish I could share it.
The top will have a flip open gas tank top , a paracord wrap handle and a rubber bottom. It's coming out so well that I bought materials for 3 more.
I wish I could share it but I can't.

Mods may delete the post.

Yo sal

This sounds like a great ur-MacGwyer (sp?) project. I would really like to see the piece, being a great lover of all things bamboo (except in my yard). I even have bamboo socks.

Back