DIY Reel Handle

oldspeed442

oldspeed442

i love this reel, but i did not like the handle on it, so i decided to make my own...

this is a screen shot of the cad model...

and here it is on the reel...

show off.
:)

Looks good! Did you machine it yourself?

oldspeed442 wrote:
not trying to brag, just figured some of you might be interested... haha

When I was thinking about re-handling a reel, I went to the craft store and looked at fancy beads coz I don't have access to the toys you have.

No, no I'm not jealous...too much. :) Could you make me one with a sort of bone motif, though. I'll send you a nice model to reference and everything, just don't expect payment. Gratitude, sure, but payment, no way.

i designed it with the 3d cad software and then created it out of acrylate resin using a rapid prototype machine. its more-less a 3d printer that builds plastic parts using a 3d cad file. its really slick... i made a working crow call with it as well.

Nice work. Solid works?

oldspeed442 wrote:
i designed it with the 3d cad software and then created it out of acrylate resin using a rapid prototype machine. its more-less a 3d printer that builds plastic parts using a 3d cad file. its really slick... i made a working crow call with it as well.
You have access to a rapid prototyper? Now that's cool! I have always wanted to try one of those out, but they were just coming out when I was in college and there is no need for one where I work.

Very nice. I don't understand all the techie stuff you did but I like the results. On the "Colbert Report" the other night there was a guy on his show that demoed a 3D copier. That was interesting to see. Again nice work.

We use SolidWorks for 3D CAD where I work and also have a 3D Dimension printer. Now you have me thinking that I need to use them to make fishing stuff!!

i use solid edge st3 and it was made on a 3d systems projet hd3000 plus printer. we actually are a siemens plm software (solid edge, femap, nx, teamcenter) and 3d systems prototype printer (bfb, v-flash, projet) reseller. we also offer engineering and printing services as well. i have to travel, but it is a really good job.

oldspeed442 wrote:
i use solid edge st3 and it was made on a 3d systems projet hd3000 plus printer. we actually are a siemens plm software (solid edge, femap, nx, teamcenter) and 3d systems prototype printer (bfb, v-flash, projet) reseller. we also offer engineering and printing services as well. i have to travel, but it is a really good job.
Never used solid edge st3, only solid works, pro-e, and autocad, but I looked it up and it looks pretty cool. About same price as pro-e. Similar features?

solid edge is the only cad package with synchronous technology, which is history free modeling. it is not sketch based, so you can pick on faces and edit easily without ever modifying a sketch. solid edge actually own the parasolids kernal, which solid works currently uses, but solid works is switching to the catia kernal i believe on the next release.

solid edge st3 "premium" package has wire harness design, frame design, and xpress route (piping design), standard parts library, full rendering and animation capability, as well as an fea simulation package that will run on assemblies, and its cheaper than pro-e. it really is amazing software for the money. it is pretty intuitive as well. i found it a lot easier to use than works.

Back