DIY Deer Hair?

steveo27

steveo27

I plan on cutting and drying a section of deer hair again this year from the buck my buddy shot yesterday (I didnt shoot mine yet).

I did this last year with pretty good results and have been tying with the hair all year.

However, the hair I save last year wasnt very coarse. It works for smaller flies but the hair is very delicate. I think I cut the piece from the side of the deer.

When you guys do your own deer hair, what section of the hide seems to be the best section to save for coarser hair? Or is it more of an age thing with the deer? Ive never really paid much attention to this before.

thanks

I hate to be mr obvious, but why not just feel the entire hide with your hands, and then cut out the sections that you like?

In my experience the closer to the back you get the coarser the hair will be.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
I hate to be mr obvious, but why not just feel the entire hide with your hands, and then cut out the sections that you like?

No harm in this suggestion. I did do this after skinning it yesterday. There really wasnt a noticeable difference which is why I was curious as to what others do. There wasnt a section of hair that stood out to me that said save this section.

steveo27 wrote:
I plan on cutting and drying a section of deer hair again this year from the buck my buddy shot yesterday (I didnt shoot mine yet).

I did this last year with pretty good results and have been tying with the hair all year.

However, the hair I save last year wasnt very coarse. It works for smaller flies but the hair is very delicate. I think I cut the piece from the side of the deer.

When you guys do your own deer hair, what section of the hide seems to be the best section to save for coarser hair? Or is it more of an age thing with the deer? Ive never really paid much attention to this before.

thanks

Diagram of fly tying uses for deer hide:

http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/selecting-deer-hair

Thansk! Thats perfect

Back