Dissing two more books

R

rrt

While I am being a critic, let me warn you off two other books being sold as fishing books: "Blood Knot" and "Streams of Consciousness." Neither is a book about fly-fishing, and neither is a good read. Unfortunately for me, I bought both, though I was smart enough not to put my name in either. Perhaps I can unload them on some unwary person. If not, I guess I'm stuck. But, I am warning all of you: don't waste your precious money; heck, don't wast your time borrowing one from a library. Sorry. I hope the next book I buy about fly-fishing is indeed a ff book and that it is a good one.

I just bought a local guys book, not happpy that the friggin thing was printed in CHINA

That's not good! Geez. I even have a third book on my "diss list" for now: "Home Pool." Like the other two, it is being marketed as a fly-fishing book, but it isn't. :-(

littlejuniata wrote:
I just bought a local guys book, not happpy that the friggin thing was printed in CHINA

I bought three books at the fly show in NJ. I noticed all three were printed in China.

I hate that China crap the main reaseon being that all the stuff we import used to be made here! I still can't stomach the fact that Pennsylvania House Furnityre is not made here now. That being said let me suggest that any and all politicans in office for the last 20 years be sent to China, without benefits.

Hi. As someone with a bit of experience in the business, allow me to explain.

When Frank Amato published my book, Philadelphia on the Fly, back in 2005, I found out the physical manufacture -- the actual printing -- was done in Singapore.

Hmmm, I thought. And later I learned the reason . . . $

A book can be printed in East Asia for about a buck or two a copy, and their technology is very, very good. When you run off, say, three thousand copies, the difference between $3,000 and $15,000 (for an American printer) adds up right quick.

If there was a law that stated only American printers could be used to print books sold in the United States, then the only fishing books you would see would be the ones published by wealthy New York publishing houses, which are the same books you fine folks have been discussing (and dissing) here on this thread.

:lol:

Small presses, sadly, would become pretty much extinct within a year of such an "American printers only" law. That's just the state of the wonderful global economy -- in action for everyone but America, which invented it.

This freaks me out . . . as does this: I have been writing for twenty years, have only been able to sell one book to a publisher, and that book has not sold enough for me to pay one month's rent. Why? Because people today will spend five bucks on a cup of Starbucks candied coffee and burn through 100 dollars of gas (for the benefit of Saudi Arabia) each week, but they will not shell out $15 for an illustrated book that can sit on the shelf and be read, again and again, for generations.

Oh, the irony . . .

:lol:

The only thing fishing related that i'm glad came from china was Tonkin cane the rest of it tics me off too

silk fly lines had their day-but the value in a books knowledge doesn't come from where its printed.

Back