discount flys?

bushwacker

bushwacker

Was taking a look at the web site for Discount flys from the link that appears on the home page here. seems like the prices are very low. Has anyone here bought any flys from them? How are they quality wise and how would you rate the company in general...service, etc.?

www.theflystop.com

I've ordered from them a number of times. The quality is good. I've only had a few flies that I felt weren't that great. The shipping is a flat $3.00. They ship fast. Most flies are 50 or 55 cents. Some are more and some very simple patterns are less.

I've ordered from a number of other places but I like TheFlyStop the best.

I've had good luck with their flies as well.

thanks for the replies guys.

What about flyshack? Their flies dont cost much, anyone tried them before?

I've never ordered any flies online except once from cabelas. I usually buy from local shops in person.

edmo,

I've tried the flyshack a couple of times but their quality was not nearly as good as TheFlyStop. Too many poorly tied flies and too many that just fell apart quickly while fishing. By contrast I've only had one fly in two years (out of maybe 100 flies) I would consider poorly tied from TheFlyStop and even that one is still useable. I'm not saying all their flies are excellent but I would consider them consistently good quality.

Now, I haven't ordered from the flyshack for the last two years so maybe things have changed.

Gene

I buy most of my flies form TheFlyStop. If they carry the fly I want, I'll order it form them. Their quality for the price you pay is unmatched in my opinion. They don't have a vast selection of flies, but they do have all the standard patterns and their selection is imporving over time.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS INSTEAD OF THOSE IMPORTS...

sandfly wrote:
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS INSTEAD OF THOSE IMPORTS...

A nice sentiment and I do this from time to time when I'm looking for a handful of specific flies. But when they charge $2.25 for the same fly I can buy for $0.55 elsewhere it's a tough sell and I don't find the quality to be any better. In fact, one of the local places I sometimes buy from at about $1.50 per fly has their country of origin on the boxes and it isn't the US so I figure that they're getting them for 50 cents and making a buck apiece. If I'm buying 100 of them that's quite an incentive to look for value.

I've found similar quality at The Fly Stop, BlueFlyCafe.com and a couple of other sites on eBay.

I have to side with nimrod on the local fly shop comment. I can but a hundred flies for $60 online or for $150 - $200 locally. That's a significant difference and the quality of the flies I get online is very good.

I'm tying more flies these days but my typically scenario was to buy bulk orders online before the spring season. Then purchase local specialty flies or replenish flies from local shops.

I still purchase flies from local shops when it makes sense or for the convenience of getting my flies immediately. Otherwise, there are plenty of other items I purchase from my local shop that are more competitively priced.

I have limited funds for my hobby so I have to be careful how it's spent.

Sandy has a great point though.

I agree with you guys about teh difference in price for flies. However, when your local fly shop closes and you wish it was still there to ask stream questions, sort through tying materials, want to test out a rod or waders, or just want to shoot the breeze wouldn't it be worth an extra few bucks per year?

Back