disapointment....

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

So I've been planning on buying Albright's A5 7'6" 3wt for about 3-4 months now. I had some birthday money coming and was planning on using that to purchase it. Had cake and icecream at my house on Saturday, and the rod sold out sometime on Friday. Just my luck (just like the $15 Loon chest pack with the water bladder in the fall). So now I'm back to square one.

I've got about $150 max to spend on the rod and looking for some advise. I want a 3wt to fish some small freestone streams at a length of 7'-7'6". Most likely a medium action and I plan on overlining it with 4wt line. Asthetics are nice, but quality is better. I'd like something with a decent warranty and good enough that I won't want to replace it in 5 years.

I looked at the Albright GP(very cheap, could buy that and another rod or a new pack), and the Redington Classic Trout series in the little bit of time I've had to research. Anyone have or cast either of these rods?

All info is appreciated.

Ryan

They'll have new stuff on sale in a few months I'd guess.

It just if you can wait that long...

(Albright pet peeve)
Its not on sale if that's the only price it ever goes for!
(And now, the rest of the post)

Cabela's 3 Forks 3wt. $49. Highly regarded on the Interwebs, and you can try it before you buy it.

I also used a Gary Borger Targus 3wt rod once that was super dreamy, but it was over the $150 point. I think Sierra Trading Post has some on clearance. Actually, I know they do, but I don't know if they have that one.

here's a st.croix for $65

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/topic/2910/t/st-croix-imperial-7-3-wt-price-drop-to-65.html

Sorry Ryan, I know you had your heart set.

Look at the new "Tight Quarters Rod" at Cabelas while you are down there...

Link

Check out the Echo Carbon great rod for the money I have one of them and really like them and it's pretty close to your price range. They also have a great warrenty and I have put it to use.

When it comes to low-cost quality rods, I'm a fan of Cortland. A lot of people say positive things about the brook series. In fact, when I bought my rod, I went with the intention of buying one. It was a fine rod, just not what I wanted. Slower action, more a trico/midge type rod than a brookie buster, and that isn't my brookie style. I chose the GRX, and am more than happy with that purchase, it is my main brookie rod. They don't make it anymore. Just lookin at their lineup, it looks like the pro-cast series may have replaced the GRX. I've not casted them, but if I were in the market for a cheap brookie rod, that'd be #1 on my list (of course I'd want to test it first against others). They have a 7'6" 4 wt, which would be my choice. They also have a 7' 3 wt.

The brook series I've seen retailing $150-$200, and the pro-cast series $100-$150.

ryguyfi wrote:
So I've been planning on buying Albright's A5 7'6" 3wt for about 3-4 months now. I had some birthday money coming and was planning on using that to purchase it. Had cake and icecream at my house on Saturday, and the rod sold out sometime on Friday. Just my luck (just like the $15 Loon chest pack with the water bladder in the fall). So now I'm back to square one.

I've got about $150 max to spend on the rod and looking for some advise. I want a 3wt to fish some small freestone streams at a length of 7'-7'6". Most likely a medium action and I plan on overlining it with 4wt line. Asthetics are nice, but quality is better. I'd like something with a decent warranty and good enough that I won't want to replace it in 5 years.

I looked at the Albright GP(very cheap, could buy that and another rod or a new pack), and the Redington Classic Trout series in the little bit of time I've had to research. Anyone have or cast either of these rods?

All info is appreciated.

Ryan

I think my GP should be here near the end of the week. I'll let you know how I like it when it comes in.

My Echo Carbon just arrived in the mail today. I haven't fished it yet, but it looks sick.

What's the warrenty on an Echo/Cabela's rod?

I just know with a brookie rod that the chances of damage are higher, so I don't want a rod that has a 3-5 year warrenty. I'd rather pay a little extra for a rod if it has a lifetime on it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I appreciate it.... cuts down on my search.

The Echo Carbon has a lifetime warranty.

Thanks Pontus... let me know how it casts!

I too have heard great things about the Echo rods but I have never cast one.

Also have heard good things about the Cortland Brook series, but again I've never cast one lol.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/signature.html

Whole lot fly rod for not alot of cash. Life time warranty! I had one and loved it should have never sold it.

Well I couldn't make it out onto the water with the new rod, but I fooled around with it in the back yard a little. I really like it. It has a nice mid flex and just feels good in my hand. I loved that it came with a tube and rod sock, and it really is beautiful.

pcray1231 wrote:
When it comes to low-cost quality rods, I'm a fan of Cortland. A lot of people say positive things about the brook series. In fact, when I bought my rod, I went with the intention of buying one. It was a fine rod, just not what I wanted. Slower action, more a trico/midge type rod than a brookie buster, and that isn't my brookie style. I chose the GRX, and am more than happy with that purchase, it is my main brookie rod. They don't make it anymore. Just lookin at their lineup, it looks like the pro-cast series may have replaced the GRX. I've not casted them, but if I were in the market for a cheap brookie rod, that'd be #1 on my list (of course I'd want to test it first against others). They have a 7'6" 4 wt, which would be my choice. They also have a 7' 3 wt.

The brook series I've seen retailing $150-$200, and the pro-cast series $100-$150.

I agree. It's a great little rod. And not just for the money. It's a great rod, period. I like my GRX better than most of my Sages. It's very light and crisp (not too fast.). A joy to cast, especially in tight surroundings.

I'll go out a little further here and say it is my favorite trout rod.

I have a 7' 6" Grey's Streamflex. I think you might like the action and how that rod fishes.

Well after much debate, I bought an Albright GP 3wt. I saved a few bucks to use it on other items, and I'll update on how it fishes. Hopefully it'll come before the JAM, so I can catch a few brookies up there on it.

Ryan, I think that rod will serve you well for your purpose.

I think so too. I was thinking about it as I was driving around between appointments and just said it was time to buy it. It'll serve as a good rod for a few years. Not the "ultimate rod" but I wasn't looking for that. Now that extra money is burning a hole in my pocket and I've been on ebay and craigslist looking for something else to buy :)

Back