dimples on the surface

pstmacteae

pstmacteae

What are the small dimples the appear on the water surface. I thought they were minnows but can not see them.

Larvae of some sort??

Dimples on the surface

I think it looks like a school of baitfish rippling the water

We could possibly be more specific if you named the water body.

Assuming it a hydraulic caused by obstruction subsurface or as mentioned, school of small bait fish

i believe this picture may have been taken a short time after yours. There is still some debate about what it shows.

A4D396AA 1131 49FD 81AE 1542758B5DB9

I've seen MAJOR hatches do this, but it's usually not one spot, it's dimples all over a larger area as nymphs come to the surface. Especially sulphers, you get schools of swimming nymphs skimming along the surface before emergence.

More often if it's in one spot like that, it's some other insect like a group of water striders getting scared and moving. Or schools of baitfish like minnows, perhaps a ball of them near the surface and getting chased and they scatter.

When in the kayak, if I see that I throw a cast there, and if no luck, I paddle over and investigate.

Most likely, bait fish. Depending on the lake, shad of some sort. They swim in pods near the surface. If you don't see them jumping out of the water, they're just cruising around doing whatever shad do.

Back