Difference in pole

J

jimmy22sept

Would there be that much of a difference between a 7'6" 3wt pole and a 9' 4 wt pole. it doesn't seem like there would be that much of a difference.

You mean rod, not pole.

Rod action and power not even taken into account; the 18" difference is a full 20% longer. Youll probably be more accurate, less likely to hit limbs, deal with less fatigue while losing reach, ability to manipulate line on the water, and distance casting.

3 to 4 line weight, OTOH, probably not so noticable.

Also, it's an excuseto buy another toy if you need it, or to not waste money if you don't.

Would there be that much of a difference between a 7'6" 3wt pole and a 9' 4 wt pole

my calculations put it at about an 18inch difference....

gfen wrote:

I see 3-4wt as a natural "step up" point. I see little difference between 4 and 5, and 5-6, but 3 to 4 always struck me as a bit of a jump.

Most trout anglers would probably detect a noticeable difference between 3 and 4 IMO. Perhaps it's just the rods I use. /shrug

A 7'6'' 3wt is NOT a rod that I'd feel confident fishing in many situations around PA. A 9' 4wt is.

Ramcatt beat me to the punch. Crap.

Is there a difference? YES. My questions to you are... Would this be an all purpose trout rod? What type of fishing and size water do you normally fish? A little more info may help get you the proper feedback.

Not sure where you live but I've got both types and you're welcome to cast them on stream and see for yourself.

Ya, I have both 7'6" 3wt and a 9' 4wt. Yes, there is a very significant difference and luckily I am comparing similar action rods, Med-Fast. Like Sight, I extend the offer for you to try them both.

A 7'6'' 3wt is NOT a rod that I'd feel confident fishing in many situations around PA. A 9' 4wt is.

I agree. Once higher spring flows are gone for the year, a 9' 4wt is a great all-round rod for PA.

On the other hand a 7' 6" 3wt is really limited to smaller streams and us practically useless for handling a typical a nymphing rig. The combination of length and line weight makes the 7' 6' 3wt best suited to smallers treams, and dry flies or fishing light without much weight on the fly or leader. Even a 7' 6" 4wt is has a considerable advantage over the 7' 6" 3wt IMO.

And for the record, I own all the above metnioned configurations.

Kev

and...... you are extending the offer for him to cast yours? Granted, it would only be on un-approved trout waters that haven't been spot burned. :)

When shopping for gear or when I was getting started, I wish that I would have had the chance to try them 'on stream' before making a choice. Too bad Al Gore didn't invent this internet thing earlier. It would have saved me some headaches.

gfen wrote:
You mean rod, not pole.

Rod action and power not even taken into account; the 18" difference is a full 20% longer. Youll probably be more accurate, less likely to hit limbs, deal with less fatigue while losing reach, ability to manipulate line on the water, and distance casting.

Also, it's an excuseto buy another toy if you need it, or to not waste money if you don't.

Ok Rod!

Other then being a wise guy he pretty much nailed as he normally does when it comes to gear!

Back