Diamondback Clout Rods

J

joeinpa

Has anyone used or purchased a Clout from Diamondback Rods? I like the idea of the Link Grip handle and the quality of components used.

I casted one, mostly because of the grip. I wasn't a fan of the grip or the rod. In all fairness I went into it not wanting to like the rod. There are a lot of rods I'd buy before I spent 400 bucks on that.

With that being said, if you cast it and you like it by all means get one.

I just saw these in my local fly shop in syracuse today. I picked one up and i personally wasn't comfortable with the grip.

I built a 10" 3 Wt for my son and he wanted a grip similar to the link grip. So I agreed to try it. It turned out to be his favorite rod. Personally I like it. I like that I can put a finger directly on the blank. I think I can feel strikes and the nymph on the bottom better.
The Grip is relatively long so I can adjust my grip up or down the blank depending on how I am fishing. It works well when high sticking. My one complaint is he wanted darker cork and the cork I and was coarse So it feel a little rough to me. My son doesn't mind it.

I am building one for myself this winter and I am using fine cork.
The few times I was able to get that rod out of his hands to fish with it I enjoyed it.

mcwillja wrote:
I just saw these in my local fly shop in syracuse today. I picked one up and i personally wasn't comfortable with the grip.

Troutfitter? Great shop. That's where I tried it as well.

717BrownTown wrote:
I built a 10" 3 Wt for my son and he wanted a grip similar to the link grip. So I agreed to try it. It turned out to be his favorite rod. Personally I like it. I like that I can put a finger directly on the blank. I think I can feel strikes and the nymph on the bottom better.
The Grip is relatively long so I can adjust my grip up or down the blank depending on how I am fishing. It works well when high sticking. My one complaint is he wanted darker cork and the cork I and was coarse So it feel a little rough to me. My son doesn't mind it.

I am building one for myself this winter and I am using fine cork.
The few times I was able to get that rod out of his hands to fish with it I enjoyed it.

Speaking of cork, that would be a big concern for me on a factory rod with this style of grip. The $400 price range rods can still have crummy cork and with this sort of grip, it could get pretty gnarly once the filler falls out.

Back