DH Thompson "A" Vise

WildTigerTrout

WildTigerTrout

A good friend of mine just picked me up a used vintage Model "A" DH Thompson Vise. The metal is chromed silver not black like the new model. It came with a newer after market black powder coated pedestal. It does not look like it was used very much. I checked out the hook holding power and it works great. Cost me $8.50! Any body here still using this vise? I would like your opinions. Looks like it would make a great travel vise. Looking forward to your comments. Thank you. WTT

i had one back in 1981 when i first started tying. its now long gone

I still pull mine out from time to time. It certainly holds a hook well enough, and if you don't care about rotary or being able to turn to fly to inspect the far side, it's really all you need.

There had to have been millions of flies tied them over most of the 20th century.

The model A was chrome plated; the "Pro" was black.

redietz wrote:

There had to have been millions of flies tied them over most of the 20th century.

Yep, including a bunch by me back in my teenage years.

I recently picked up another one that somebody included in the box with a Renzetti that I bought. I spent a few minutes reminiscing and comparing them, and wondering why I just spent 20X more on the Renzetti, when I could realistically tie 99% of what I do on that old simple Thompson.

I keep my original Thompson A vice as a traveling/on the road vice. It works well enough to whip up patterns I may need in a jiffy.

jifigz wrote:
I keep my original Thompson A vice as a traveling/on the road vice. It works well enough to whip up patterns I may need in a jiffy.
Exactly what I was thinking. I think I will use it in the same way. Thanks. WTT

my first decent vice. I think I passed mine along to someone just learning to tie.

I've been trying with a Thompson A for 30 + yrs. No reason to change.

Back