DFTU General Membership Meeting

GeneBeam

GeneBeam

North Cornwall Township, Lebanon County, PA
When: Tue, September 27, 7pm – 9pm
Where: Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission, 1601 Elmerton Ave, Harrisburg, PA 17110, USA (map)
See for more information: https://dftu.org/news/calendar/
Description
A very special live presentation on Pennsylvania’s native Brook Trout will be given on Tuesday, September 27th, at 7:00 pm at the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission building, located on Elmerton Avenue in Harrisburg. This presentation is free and open to the public, appropriate for all age groups. It is sponsored by the Doc Fritchey chapter of Trout Unlimited.
Dr. James Suleski, a TU chapter Board Member, will be the guest speaker for the evening. Dr. Suleski has been studying the habits and habitat of our Pennsylvania brookies for several years, and his passion for the protection and preservation of this trout species is well known.

He has pursued the brookie tirelessly, not to catch it, but to learn more about it, so that we can better understand how to provide for its continued survival. And now he wants to share his material with all of us so that we can come to a greater appreciation for our state gamefish.

Dr. Suleski has been a guest on multiple podcasts and worked with many conservationists to spread the knowledge of brook trout preservation. Everyone invite.

When: Tue, September 27, 7pm – 9pm
Where: Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission, 1601 Elmerton Ave, Harrisburg, PA 17110, USA (map)
See for more information: https://dftu.org/news/calendar/
Description
A very special live presentation on Pennsylvania’s native Brook Trout will be given on Tuesday, September 27th, at 7:00 pm at the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission building, located on Elmerton Avenue in Harrisburg. This presentation is free and open to the public, appropriate for all age groups. It is sponsored by the Doc Fritchey chapter of Trout Unlimited.
Dr. James Suleski, a TU chapter Board Member, will be the guest speaker for the evening. Dr. Suleski has been studying the habits and habitat of our Pennsylvania brookies for several years, and his passion for the protection and preservation of this trout species is well known.

He has pursued the brookie tirelessly, not to catch it, but to learn more about it, so that we can better understand how to provide for its continued survival. And now he wants to share his material with all of us so that we can come to a greater appreciation for our state gamefish.

Dr. Suleski has been a guest on multiple podcasts and worked with many conservationists to spread the knowledge of brook trout preservation. Everyone invite.
Thanks for posting Gene!

When the description was written up by the chapter they mentioned I was “studying brook trout” which is a simple miscommunication.

In case anyone was misled, I’m a human doctor, not a fisheries scientist or PhD, and I don’t personally conduct any research. I just read a lot of it and the try to speak with the real fisheries scientists to help interpret their findings. The end goal is to translate valuable, often little known,native brook trout fisheries science into a fun/informative discussion that can be easily understood by lay persons/anglers like myself and folks on here.

Again thanks for the plug, my hope is that this type of public outreach and education done by myself and others eventually brings about meaningful stocking reform and brook trout management changes.

The presentation will be recorded and I will try to post on here as well if I can so those who miss it can enjoy at home. I am trying to include a lot of Q and A at the end for those showing up there in person to make it interactive for audience as well.

Hopefully I’ll see some forum members tonight out in Harrisburg!

Would this be interesting for a 10 and 7 year old? Looking for somewhere to take the boys tonight.

I am basically summarizing some of the most impactful fisheries science articles on native brook trout but translating them into layman’s terms/general public. Goal being educating people on how brook trout work, what they need, and where experts are recommending we do somethings differently.

For kids I think the value would be having a better idea of whats going on under the water when they step on a brook trout stream in regard to some of the stuff we don’t learn as anglers trying to trick them with our fly rod. I am going to try to keep jargon to a minimum or if i need to reference it to explain a study, provide a lay person synonym like “cold spot” instead of thermal refuge for instance. So if they have interest in brook trout the fish and what it needs/what it does then, yes. There won’t be much about actual fishing for them though.

A few parts explaining a study may be a little bit technical but there will always be a general messaging take away for each topic on par with what I wish they taught with trout in the class room program to kids. Id say bring em but I am biased😜

Back