Dewey Beach, Delaware?

D

DJBerg

any one fish around there?

the inlaws rented a house down by the beach and well, we'll be there for a week, and i'm definitely gonna be looking to get a way for a a day or 4.

i've never fished salt, or any where around there. so if any of you would want to share any info on salt, and inlet fishing, spots, flies, what ever info you feel like sharing. it would be greatly appreciated.

planning on bringing my 8wts 9 and 10' and the 12' spey, maybe even the 15'er as well...

may also have kayaks(father inlaw is all about them, so could be a nice way to get away form people).

thanks.

The time of year makes a difference - the best time would be Oct-early Dec but late April - early June is good too. Mid summer is tough and wintertime is almost non-existent. Dewey is a good area although it has been many years since I've fished there. I'd focus on Indian River inlet (there's a thread buried somewhere on the site about IR Inlet). Roosevelt Inlet is good in springtime for weaks. Spring and fall will have stripers and blues on the beach (if your timing is lucky). Your kayak will be lots of fun in the back bays.

EDIT: Thanks Vcregular (found the previous thread)!

thanks i actually stumbled across that thread last night just before bed, and of course it will be right about mid june so we will see how it goes.

Well, my only Delaware experiences where that trip, which you have read all about, and a trip a few years earlier to Cape Henlopen. That trip was early September time frame as well, and I fished the beach on the cape a bit. A fair number of small blues. 1 shark, and 1 little striper.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. This year's beach trip will be Hatteras in August. But the Delaware shore isn't a long drive for us, and as the kid gets older, we'll likely be doing more time there. Long weekends and such. I'd like to learn the seasons a bit, so your report will be appreciated.

and the other thought i have after fully reading that post, is what did sandy do to all the water ways down there? i hope made some nice trenches but i have no clue...

I haven't been there since Sandy. Bout all I can say is the area is south of where landfall occurred. As a result, they didn't get near the storm surge of the places north of the center. Overall, damage was minimal.

Of course, I'm talking land based damage. I'm sure the surf and currents were rough and may have shifted some sand around.

these last few coastal storms have probally put a lot of sand back where it came from and the normal holes and points are repaired.

Headed down to cape henlopen in two weeks.

Taking multiple surf rods as that is what I mostly do down there but I'll be taking a kayak as well to hit the bayside north of the fishing pier. gonna have to borrow the old man's fly rod though as I'm using a 6'6" as my only fly rod right now.

I'll post up results if I get anything good on the fly. Headed down may 31 for the weekend.

I fly fish and surf fish there a few times a month. There right , I think Cape henlopen is the best for fly fishing, also the north pocket at Indian river inlet. I've fly fished the back bay later in the season for sea trout, flounder, strppers. all with a fly rod.
Iwould go on line or call Old Inlet Bait and tackle, also bill's sport shop. They will know whats running and were it would be best to fly fish. Good luck.

Thanks man, I usually hit the one in the park and the one by Irish Eyes, that's bills right?? I think I bought a fly or two there last year but drinks and horseshoes got in the way of ever using em ha. I'll be sure and check in with em before I go out.

Drinks and horse shoes can be played at home ---GO FISH !

A few month ago there was an article in eastern fly fisher about the cape some good info in there. Like people said check out old inlet and bills. I lived there the past six summers and did some salt water fishing but more carp on the fly

Ha trust me we drink and throw shoes at home too. It's just a little hard to stray from the pack of friends being that I'm the only flyfisherman among us. So I usually just satisfy myself with surf fishing while drinking and pitchin.

Back