Delaware Water Gap AT Hike and Fish

ReelFlyTrout

ReelFlyTrout

I'm coming back to my great home state of PA in a few weeks and am planning on hiking a few days on the AT.

I will be hiking the Palmerton-Delaware Water Gap section of the trail (direction to be determined..)

I've been focusing mainly on the DWG area for fly fishing, checking out maps, trying to get information online, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for locations. Unfortunately I'm not really familiar with anything in this area.

I've got everything from a 3wt up to a 7, so anything goes fish-wise. Mainly wondering if there are any local creeks that would be good for Brown/Brookies (definitely taking water temp into consideration with it being the summer), but I would appreciate any advice on a lake, river, or creek that I can wet wade.

Thanks everyone, and maybe I'll see you on the trail!

Eric

That stretch is pretty dry. Except At the beginning , at Wind Gap, and at the end, you are on the ridge the whole way. You will start by the Lehigh River and finish by the Delaware River.

There are streams on the NJ side

Van Campens is a wild trout stream

Dunfield Creek is stocked up to a point

Do not suggest going on weekends

Yeah, the Lehigh River at Palmerton and the Aquishicola in Palmerton. Not sure when you are exactly planning on making the hike, but trout may be out of the question due to temps. However the SMB on the Lehigh are a blast. If it is more towards September there is a possibility the Lehigh may be cool enough again depending on weather to fish for trout. The Shicky will be fine probably.

You have to spend time to hike down from the AT to streams near the bottom of the mountain to get to the stream, it's not impossible but it takes a lot of time. The weather has been hot and dry and the streams everywhere are low.
Some of the streams running close to the AT aren't worth fishing during the summer for trout.

Thanks to everyone for your advice! Everybody pretty much hit the nail on the head-lots of streams in close proximity to the AT were dry, but I was able to get down to the Lehigh after I hiked into Palmerton. I fished a few days there and managed to do well with some Smallmouth. Back in Texas for school, but hopefully making it back to PA in December. Thanks again!

Back