Delaware River Smallmouth Wade Fishing Spots

T

troutbert

Can anyone suggest good spots to access the Delaware where there's decent wade fishing for smallmouth (got no boat!) between roughly I78 near Easton and the I95 bridge north of Philly?

Try Riegelsville. The FBC has a parking area 200 yds north of the intersection of RTs 611 & 212. Try walking upstream 1/4 mile on the path along the river to the riff. The margins of the fast water usually hold some fish. Also try above the rapids. Good luck.

#958 on the FBC map:
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/county/pfbcmaps/buck.htm

A reading of 3' or less at Riegelsville is ideal for wading. 4' or higher and wading becomes too dangerous.

Riegelville gauge

Dear troutbert,

Washingtons Crossing State Park. This time of year you can probably walk across the river. They catch some nice stripers under the bridge but you got to get up early, once it's daylight it's time to go home.

Lambertville, NJ There is a park just below the wingdam. In the good old days we used to just fish at the old abandoned factory on the New Hope side but that is long gone.

Lumberville, PA - Bulls Island State Park, NJ Sometimes parking gets tough along river road but I always like to walk up to the wing dam. Access is easier from the Jersey Side.

Hope these help, I grew up in Bucks County but I'm sure about 95 percent of the places we used to park and fish are now posted.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

About 500 yds North of the Scudders Falls Bridge is some excellent places to fish. Access is easier from the Jersey side. Was there on Monday 9/1 and caught 6 in about 45 minutes. No real size though, biggest was prob 11inches. There are some good places on the PA side upstream from the Yardley boat ramp but parking is limited off of river road.

Thanks to all for the access ideas. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Big water, big fish is what I'm hoping. :-D

Back