Delaware river shore access in Lower Bucks?

tulenkot

tulenkot

So I'm pretty new to warm water fly fishing, and I bought a new 8wt. Anybody know of some good spots to wade in on the delware river in Lower Bucks? I've never fished a river of this magnitude before and I don't know where to begin. Alot of the obvious spots have no parking signs or seem to be private. Looking to chuck some big old streamers...

jersey has some parking areas one at rt. 95 bridge, then washington crossing, then below new hope on jersey side. wing dam in lambertville, mill in stockton, yardley boat access too.

Thanks Sandy... I checked out the Yardley boat access but it did not seem to be very productive yesterday. Water just hit 50 degreees. A ton of tan caddis flies everywhere and a few little stoneflies. I definitely want to check out the wing dam...

You're not going to find a ton of action until the water warms a bit. Your walleye have spawned and either are or will be eating again soon but they can be a crapshoot to find sometimes. Your smallies are getting ready to start staging for spawn. On warm days you will find them more active and they will eat if you get the fly to them right. Stripers are there but not real active yet. Shad have entered the river and are being caught.

Wait a few more weeks and the lower river will start turning on better.

Shad should be doing good now, I have caught them in march some years (sm. bucks) If the temps are 48 and higher you should hit them. fish the edges of the channels and get down deep. walleye should be in the deep pool at scudders now, got to dredge for them along the bottom. first light is good for shad and then in evenings. some days they will daisey chain in the shallows and a bright wet fly will work then..I use an orvis T3 8 wt. with shooting heads from intermediate to 30' of lead core to fish the delaware..

Shad just seem to be starting in upper bucks. Some nice smallies are being caught low and slow. We could use some rain. If you can get above Yardley, you might find more fish. There's a few spots near Lambertville, Frenchtown and Point Pleasant.

Water temps are right around 60 degrees at Trenton. Might be a good time to head out and look for some smallies getting their feed on. Its stained from the rain, I'm sure, but it has crested and is dropping. If I had the time, I know I'd be tossing some flies.

Back