Delaware river near shawnee

S

Striperbobby

Hey guys I am gonna be staying in poconos in Shawnee near the Delaware. Does anyone know if that part of the river is wadeable and are there smallmouth in that stretch? Thanks in advance!

Should be lots of bass down that way. Not familiar enough with that section to give you wading spots but everything will hinge on flow and how many thunderstorms are upstream

It's not wadeable in a meaningful sense, but you can find spots depending on flows. Usually your best bet is to try to find an island you can wade to and then fish from there. Sometimes it's possible; sometimes it's not.

Plenty of bass and plenty of big chubs. Last weekend a friend got into a weird eddy full of rainbows that must have washed down from the tribs. It sounded like there are also still zombie shad flopping around and dying too, so who knows what you'll get into. Quite an adventure.

Count on lots and lots of tubes / rafts floating.

There are smallies around there. Around heads and tails of pools and around islands will be the better spots for fly fishing IMHO. Pools can be big to fly fish in. I find the back of the islands can be better for larger fish in summer because I think they move away from all the boat traffic in the main channels. One of my old tactics is to notice which shallows at the tails of pools hold lots of minnows. Come back at night with a pencil popper, gurgler or such and look for breaking bait.

You will be pretty close to the Brodhead and the temps are still OK. Dusk dry fly fishing should be good and can nymph riffles/runs during the day.

Back