Delaware River Angling Trends Survey

F

Fishidiot

Here's a new report up on the PFBC website regarding angling on the Delaware River. Not surprisingly, much of the pressure, at least with guides, is on the upper trout sections. Of note: the number of trips with guides was higher fifteen years ago and dropped through the 00s with fishing trips bottoming out in 2008-2009 (likely the economy). Fishing trips have bounced back, but still are not at previous levels. Also, smallies were somewhat easier to catch than brown trout. :cool:

The stats on muskies, especially purebreds, is disappointing,
although, to be sure, toothies are targeted mainly by enthusiasts and perhaps there were simply too few muskie guys to show up in the survey(?).

Thoughts from those of you who fish the upper "D" regularly?

Beeber will vouch.....from callicoon through the water gap is top notch smallmouth fishing. What might be missing from the report is the number of private watercraft. Lots of guys have taken guides and now bought their own drift boats. Kayaks and pontoons have become much more popular.

I remember wading at the Methodist camp in the 80's. During the weekend, I'd see 1-2 guide boats and maybe one other wade angler. I took my nephew through there last July and we counted 23 guys wading in that pool. Mutzibaugh will back me up...he was one of them. Never saw it like that before.

Taking out can be a nightmare too. You get to the ramp and there are 9 boats ahead of you. Like the deli counter, take a number and wait.

Numbers don't lie but it sure seems busier. The lower sections don't get the same pressure. I've seen some smallmouth in the 4# or larger range caught and some nice walleye (25"-28"). Haven't witnessed but have heard musky and striper stories as well. Hook a 10" chub and a 36" striper appears out of nowhere and steals your prize chub :)

From what I saw fishing there last weekend, the angling pressure is as heavy as I can ever remember. Floating from the junction to buckingham last saturday, every good run had a drift boat anchored there - and 1 or 2 anchored upstream waiting to get in next.
When we got to the buckingham take out around 7pm, there were at least 5-6 boats in line to pull out. Luckily, we were in a kayak - and just had to carry it up the launch road to the truck with no wait.

The game lands on the west branch were very busy all weekend too - with both parking lots being filled up, and vehicles having to park along the road

The section from Callicoon to Narrowburg is loaded with SM.I used to fish it 5-6 times a year from 1972-1985.Tried it out last Spring and found it even better..much larger fish in general.Just be carefull if you try to go through Skinners Falls.IMO Don't.
http://www.poconowaterfalls.com/SkinnersFalls.html

We have a fishing camp at Long Eddy ( main stream). We are right on the water for a week. I leave this friday and hope for good conditions. At times we think we are in the wilderness then drift boats and or rental kayaks come thru and realize this is not anything near what you think. There is a lot of water but at times can get crowded. During the day I like to shad fish then hit the trout in the evenings. Like all good fisheries that get publicity we can create or own problems. Still a great fishery in my opinion and look forward to the next week.

Tony,

Look for some scaddens and a driftboat to come through there Monday or Tuesday evening. 5-7 PAFF guys. You one of the camps just up from the feeder near the ramp?

No we are just below Long Eddy at the Grave yard road. It is John Stacers land. It will be on the Left hand side between the end of Long Eddy pool ( Almost at the end of the fast run) and the pool above were the Basket comes in from the NY side. It is a large open grassy camp site with a large pavilion and a lot of guys.

I went thru Skinners falls in a yak in August, i had never been in that section of the river before and i paddled around in the kayak for about 10 minutes before going thru (had never been in the kayak before either) I made it fine, but i would imagine the water is much lower in August than it would be this time of year

I found the smallmouth fishing to be very disappointing. We didnt get numbers or quality. A couple decent fish between 3 of us in 3 days of floating different sections. The best smallie fishing was on the float from Buckingham to Lordville which i thought was supposed to be the trouty area.

I think spring is the time to smallie fish though because the two guys i went with in August were just up there again a couple weeks ago and they DRILLED them. They also did well on trout and shad, everything was caught on spinning gear

I think the smallie fishing is decent the whole way from Callicoon to Trenton. The size of the smallies is up and the pressure is down IMHO. I grew up on the Delaware and have been fishing it for 50+ years. Everybody used to fish and every good spot was hammered when I was a kid Now some spots are crowded, but just as many aren't fished as much as they used to be. Modern fishermen seem to concentrate at the more popular/famous spots and don't exploit the harder to reach, lesser known spots. Explore a little and you will find peace and good fishing.

The smallies are moderately consistent, but will turn off. Often they turn off about noon and sometimes I can't figure why. Most years the shadling run will turn on the fish and fishing behind the pods is first rate, but some years there are too many shadlings and the predators don't concentrate and in poor years there are no shadling schools to key in on. Water levels have been crazy the last decade as well. With consistent water levels and weather I can dial in a pattern; when the levels change all the time it is often hard to find the fish. Hey, it is still fishing and not catching.

I know this is a fly site, but smallies go crazy for 4" Senkos.

I know a few musky guys and IMHO it is a very specialized game. Not many are caught incidentally. The guys that target them spend a lot of time on the water and locate a number of fish. Then they routinely fish spot after spot. Some days you hit it right, most of the time you don't. One example is the Coppermine Beach which is loaded with shad fisherman from March through May. A 4 ft musky patrols the beach all the time right in front of dozens of fishermen. I have seen him hooked (and broke off) once, although many people try. Always cool to spot him though.

For trout, IMHO the guiding section has shrunk. Used to have cold water to Calicoon, which spread out the boats, especially since the advantage of a boat over wading increases as you head downstream. Now it seems most of the action is on the West Branch with the main stem mostly an early season option. In general, fly fishing for trout seems to be getting more and more concentrated at famous streams and Special Regs areas. Leaves plenty of unpressured fish for those who go off the beaten path. But the popular spots sure get mobbed.

My buddies go every year in the spring and they said last years August experience was not the norm. I'm thinking the fish are probably in different spots and require different tactics from spring to August hence our lack of success.

My daughter was two weeks old when they went this year which is why i skipped it. It was pretty salty getting pics texted to me 3 times a day of really nice fish and not being able to be there but sometimes thats the way life is. I wouldnt do it any different if i had it to do over again

If the flow is 600-800 and the sulphurs are going, you come around the corner into the gamelands and you'll hit 50 wade fisherman. Go in front of the and you're an azz that rowed over "their fish" even though their casts are 30' short of the target. Go behind them an "move I'm trying to cast". I try to stay clear of that zoo if at all possible. If the pressure is down, why do most sections look like you are at Penns during the drakes? We may float as far as Damascus and see if we can't find a smallmouth or two with a rapala.

Tim,
There are documented studies that show radio tracked fish moving 30-50 miles during the season. You will find fish in one section in May and in a totally different section come July. Once spawning urge kicks in.....they're moving again. I still struggle to find them in the real early part of the season. The constantly moving though.

kray is right there is a lot of great smallie water on the D. I do think the smallie population below Easton has declined drastically and has not recovered. Anywhere above Easton is excellent.

I have kayak fished many sections of the D from Callicoon down through Easton and I would have to agree that the smallmouth fishing is excellent. My favorite section still remains around Barryville, NY. Excellent water there.

Yup, it's a specialized, dedicated game but I also don't think river musky guys are too quick to yap about their success either.

I'm mixed on the fishing below Easton. I grew up in Phillipsburg, so have the historical view, but for the last 25 years I have lived closer to the Belvidere to Water Gap stretch so that is where I fish now. Last few years I haven't had as good wade fishing around Reigelsville as I used to on the time or two I head there each year, but I canoed from Phillipsburg to Reigelsville last summer and had excellent fishing. My Phillipsburg friends all head downstream, not upstream for smallie fishing so I don't know what to say. One thing I am sure of is that the plume from the lower Easton sewer plant kills the fishing on the PA side for a while.

Only people tighter lipped than muskie fishermen are the guys who target large trout down to Reigelsville. In their defense, both learned the ropes the hard way and put in a lot of hours for each fish.

Angler use on upper section......was up last week when flows were quite high. Stilesville was running between 5000 cfs and 3800 cfs. Came around the corner to a pool with 9 boats anchored. At the take out, counted 19 boats and had to wait 90 to use the ramp. Maybe it was a result of the flows that caused everyone to be on the same section. The west is always a zoo but it's was extra crowded. And yes, there were guys wading or attempting to wade at those flows. Crazy if you ask me. A very experienced guy sunk his boat on the east. Clients and guide were recovered alive by river rescue. Goes to show you that you need to respect the power of the river or pay the price.

Back