Deer hair stacking/ spinning questions

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

Hey it's been a while since I've posted, but I'd like some input from you deer hair tyers. I've been tying some bigger streamers with lead eyes and a big deer hair collar and head. They're fun, and I really like the dippin and darting they do through the water.

Do you typically stack deer hair behind, on top, in front of the lead eyes? Do you just spin some hair in front and behind the eyes?

I've tried a couple different ways, but I knew I could get some solid Intel from here...thanks in advance.

Go Steelers :pint:

J55tyger88 wrote:
Hey it's been a while since I've posted, but I'd like some input from you deer hair tyers. I've been tying some bigger streamers with lead eyes and a big deer hair collar and head. They're fun, and I really like the dippin and darting they do through the water.

Do you typically stack deer hair behind, on top, in front of the lead eyes? Do you just spin some hair in front and behind the eyes?

I've tried a couple different ways, but I knew I could get some solid Intel from here...thanks in advance.

Go Steelers :pint:

Deer hair flies are fun to tie and really catch fish.

Spin a large bundle just behind the lead eyes, tie back and trim.

I found this great video of a guy doing a great job at it. No need for such perfection from you, but it gives you a good idea as to how it's done. Give it a try.

I stack behind the eyes and spin in front of them. Check out Kelly Galloups' videos on YouTube.

Afishinado, that's a cool video. Thanks for sharing!

Tiogadog, I'll check those videos out. Thanks

Hey Tyger! How the hell ya doin’? Some great videos posted up on the hair spinning, for sure.

John, Im great bud, just playing with some deer hair :)

Tiogadog, I watched some Kelly Galloup vids last night. He does a pretty good job of explaining himself, and showing how to spin, stack deer hair. I noticed in some of his videos, he mentions his deer hair heads are pretty loose compared to the ones in the bins at fly shops.

I usually stack if I am using lead eyes.

Attachments

• meat.jpg
    meat.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
J55tyger88 wrote:

Tiogadog, I watched some Kelly Galloup vids last night. He does a pretty good job of explaining himself, and showing how to spin, stack deer hair. I noticed in some of his videos, he mentions his deer hair heads are pretty loose compared to the ones in the bins at fly shops.

Yeah, if you're trying subsurface patterns you'll want to go kinda sparse. You want to push water and get some action from deer hair collars but not add a lot of flostation to counteract your head. If you have good hair for spinning, you won't need to tie a dense head to get a good final shape and still look "full."

In actuality, most streamers should be tied sparser than what you see in shop bins, deer hair or otherwise. Extra material first traps air, and then once saturated, traps water. So first your fly won't sink, and then later it becomes harder to cast than it needs to be.

PennKev wrote:
J55tyger88 wrote:

Yeah, if you're trying subsurface patterns you'll want to go kinda sparse. You want to push water and get some action from deer hair collars but not add a lot of flostation to counteract your head. If you have good hair for spinning, you won't need to tie a dense head to get a good final shape and still look "full."

In actuality, most streamers should be tied sparser than what you see in shop bins, deer hair or otherwise. Extra material first traps air, and then once saturated, traps water. So first your fly won't sink, and then later it becomes harder to cast than it needs to be.

I agree totally with PennKev. The sparsely tied flies just don't look as good in the bins at the fly shop. Guess that is another reason to tie your own.

I use the galloup method - stack in back and spin in front. It has worked well for me and I find it quicker and easier than spinning or stacking both ends.

Back