Days of the dams are numbered

Nymph-wristed

Nymph-wristed

So, I have a question about dams... I didn't plan it this way, but I happened to fish two streams this weekend that both had dams the last time I was there: the Monocacy around Gertrude Fox and the one above Fish Hatchery Rd near the Heritage section.

My question is this, besides pulling them down, does the organization responsible do any other remediation or work with other groups to do so? Or is it a pull and let nature take its course? I saw what I thought were two very different results in each case. Granted, Fish Hatchery has been down longer.

Thanks.

What did you see regarding the physical habitat at these two sites? Good? Bad? And in both cases, why?

Do you have photos?

From what I've seen, in some cases dams are removed and little to nothing is done regarding physical habitat. And in other cases, there is work done after the dam removal.

troutbert wrote:
What did you see regarding the physical habitat at these two sites? Good? Bad? And in both cases, why?

Do you have photos?

From what I've seen, in some cases dams are removed and little to nothing is done regarding physical habitat. And in other cases, there is work done after the dam removal.

In both cases it looked like the debris was taken away, not just left on the banks or in the creek; otherwise, I saw not other visible work, especially with knotweed and such in full bloom. The Little Lehigh looked like it may have scoured out some depth or it was dug out (?) just down stream, but there was less depth the further you move downstream. I think the work was done in 2012 or 2013, and I haven't been there since about then.

Monocacy looked barely altered, as the No Swimming, No Wading, etc sign was still in place. I was there May of 2016, and the dam was still there. My opinion is that the dam at the Monocacy was at a natural high point, so the water still slows and backs up behind the old site (I still caught a couple in the riffles below the old dam (and the hole at the bend just below still had some depth and a fish or two). The photo I have is not very revealing, and unfortunately now part of a collage from my blog, just a shot of the sign, really.

20170904_064520-COLLAGE.jpg

Largely depends on funding and terms of the grants involved, if any. Additionally, each project is different. In some cases immediate restoration efforts may not be a good idea, as one may need to wait as the stream finds its own route and reaches a terminal point with respect to the depth into the bottom substrate that the stream cuts. I have seen immediately installed tip deflectors sitting a foot or two above the water after a short period of time. With nearly 300 dams having been removed in Pa over the last 20 years, you are bound to find a range of restoration efforts post removal.

Thanks, Mike. If I read in-between the lines, folks can get a local permit and pull them down, then? If on private property, then not even that?

In 2012 Perkiomen Valley T.U. was asked by the owner of a dam to have it removed. We got in touch with American Rivers and PFBC to get it done. The removal was in 2012 and we ae only now starting phase 2 of the project, see my post on Perkiomen Creek. the reason for the wait is for the stream to find its own channel. Unfortunately it's been a slow process because there haven't been any serious floods to cut a deep channel in the section. Hopefully the work being done during the week of Oct 9 will speed things up. Late during that week there will be a need for volunteers to help. PM me if you are interested in helping.

Thanks, Chaz. PM sent.

Back