Dauphin PA Fly Fishing

patroell

patroell

Hey there everyone this is my first time posting in here, looking to do some late fall / early winter fly fishing up in dauphin county. I referee to fish and boats PDF of wild trout waters and narrowed in on an area I’d like to fish. I found a thread from 2014 on one of the streams in this area but they all seem to be close enough to each other maybe some are harder to get to. This list of streams include the following; East/West Branch Rattling Creek, Doc Smith Run, Shale Run and Wolf Run. Has anyone fished these waters before?

Hey there everyone this is my first time posting in here, looking to do some late fall / early winter fly fishing up in dauphin county. I referee to fish and boats PDF of wild trout waters and narrowed in on an area I’d like to fish. I found a thread from 2014 on one of the streams in this area but they all seem to be close enough to each other maybe some are harder to get to. This list of streams include the following; East/West Branch Rattling Creek, Doc Smith Run, Shale Run and Wolf Run. Has anyone fished these waters before?
Yea they are bot always completely wild trout fishing experiences if thats what your looking for because of stocking but most times I have fished them its wild fish. I live in Dauphin so I know most of the streams well. Are you looking to catch wild native brook trout or wild invasive brown trout? There are great opportunities for both in the county i can point you towards in a PM depending on what your looking for.

Yea they are bot always completely wild trout fishing experiences if thats what your looking for because of stocking but most times I have fished them its wild fish. I live in Dauphin so I know most of the streams well. Are you looking to catch wild native brook trout or wild invasive brown trout? There are great opportunities for both in the county i can point you towards in a PM depending on what your looking for.
I appreciate the quick feedback! I’ll be honest, all I’m looking to do is catch some wild fish. I’m over in Hershey area and I’ve only fished stocked waters in PA. Really just want to get out and fish, another silly question but is fishing any of those waters this time of year worth it?

I appreciate the quick feedback! I’ll be honest, all I’m looking to do is catch some wild fish. I’m over in Hershey area and I’ve only fished stocked waters in PA. Really just want to get out and fish, another silly question but is fishing any of those waters this time of year worth it?
I live in Hershey as well. PM sent.

I’ll send you a pm as well I’m in mt joy.

I’ll send you a pm as well I’m in mt joy.
Im not far I’m on border of E town and hershey. I drove 283 all the time to go to big aquarium store in Lancaster or precision and I see all these creeks on private property with posted signs that obviously had chesapeake bay orgs plant them 10-15 years ago and some of the buffers are just getting large enough to contribute mature wood/increase flood plain connection in next decade or so and hopefully increase channel complexity. Lancaster county private property streams due to heavy bay restoration efforts will develop into a very interesting fishery not many can access in the next 10-20 years I would imagine for many different species. Will be interesting to see if any of the lower downstream fisheries on public land/access improve as a result of whats going on upstream. Would be nice

Really just want to get out and fish, another silly question but is fishing any of those waters this time of year worth it?
I’d love to hear a response to this. I’ve had the same question!

I’d love to hear a response to this. I’ve had the same question!
You can catch a lot of nice fish in dauphin county in the cold as long as they don’t have to be trout. The trout fishing in general in dauphin county is not pa’s best but not PA’s worst. You can target them in a few streams but you can also carch a ton of other fish in medium sized streams and run into the occasional larger trout. The fishing can be a little slower in winter in general but trout still bite.

Back