Darcon versus Gel Spun Backing

tjsingle

tjsingle

I ordered a new reel for salmon this year, and it has a 50yd larger backing capacity than my previous reel. I was looking at buying a new spool of backing to fill out the reel. I was going to go with Darcon but I wasn't sure if it was worth the couple of extra bucks for gel spun.

Thoughts?

Meh, I had it and probably won't waste the money again. It leaked it's color staining my fly line turning it brown.

I would only consider gel spun as a last resort to get more backing on a undersized reel. It’s flat and will cut you to the bone if you happen to touch it when a big fish is pulling off. If your wanting a “premium” backing, look at the Hatch backing. It’s thinner than gel spun, stronger and less likely to cut you

Gotcha. I’ll look at Hatch, I was looking at Cortland or Rio too. The Redington Behemoth has like 200 yards of capacity which is sweet for Salmon. Last year had a couple that nearly spooled me lol

If your asking about the Hatch backing, then yes it’s something fairly new. It’s not Dacron, but a braided PE material. It’s not cheap though at $30 per 100 meter spool.

Why not use fishing braid as backing I have to admit ive havent used it as backing but dont see why it wouldnt work .

Back