Danvise--new Christmas present!

Wildfish

Wildfish

Hey guys,
I just got a danvise for christmas. It's pretty sweet, and what I asked for from the girlfriend, but of course I'm tempted to head to cabelas and make sure it's the vise I want. Can anyone who uses this vise give me an opinion?

Also, can you tell me what kind of jaws it has? Is it push-collet?
Thanks!

Hi Wildfish - The Danvise is a pretty good vise. For the money, it's unbeatable. To get a better vise, you'd have to spend almost twice as much. I don't own one, but I've tied on one several times. My biggest gripe about it was hook access - being able to hold materials behind the hook as you tie them on. There is an extension arm available to solve that shortcoming, so it's no big deal.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OF-900807-0000/BT's-Fly-Fishing-Danvise-Extension-Arm

The Danvise isn't pretty, but it works very well. It has cam operated jaws. Push collet jaws are usually associated with Dyna King vises. The cheapest Dyna King with the features your Danvise has is gonna run you @ $230. Is it better? IMHO, yes. Is it worth the difference? That's up to you. As you sink further into the abyss that is fly tying, you'll probably own more than one vise anyways. All a vise has to do is hold the hook - the rest is just preference. Everyone has their own preferences, and yours are the only ones that matter - to you.

Thanks Heritage! I appreciate the input. I have a cheap vise already but this is my first over $50. Almost went with the renzetti traveler, but it's just out of my budget. It's awesome, but I didn't want to go over $150.

I have one and love it....

I'm not sure what you mean by "push-collet" but if you mean you tighten the jaws by a lever then yes it is.

I don't have any complaints about it, it works well and holds fly tights.

Rob

Hi Rob!
Hope you had a great Christmas.

Here's an explanation of how various vise designs hold hooks - it's from an article by Hans Weilenmann & Bruce Salzburg, and can be found here.

Jaw Types

There are essentially two types of jaws used in vises today: collet and lever-type (also called parallel clamp).

Collet vises employ one-piece jaws, which are in the open position, like a pair of tweezers. The jaws are closed by either pulling or pushing them into a ring, called a collet. This is generally accomplished by a lever and cam located at the rear of the vise barrel.

Most collet vises are "draw collet," meaning that the jaws are pulled into the collet. Examples include the venerable Thompsons to the more sophisticated HMH entries. DynaKing's line uses a forcing cone-collet design--or "push collet." The Renzetti Presentation 3000 and the Tiemco vises also use a push-collet design, but with these vises the jaws are closed and opened by turning a large knob located at the back of the jaws. Because of the great force exerted onto the collet, push-collet vises tend to have a substantial metal collar behind the jaws some tiers may find reduces access to small hooks. Draw-collet designs generally have a sleeker profile.

Lever-type jaws such as those found on Regal vises operate like a wooden clothespin, requiring two-piece jaws, a fulcrum, and a mechanism to close the jaws. On some designs, a small screw near the tip of the jaws provides adjustment between hook-wire diameters. Some tiers find that this screw interferes, especially when tying on very small hooks. Either a thumbscrew or a cam lever is used to close the jaws by separating the "tails" of the jaws.

Stupid question, but which type of jaws does my davise have? They're cam, but that just means they have cam lever right? So are the danvise jaws one or two piece?

Not stupid at all - the Danvise has lever type jaws (parallel clamp) that are cam operated (two piece jaws). Cam operated Renzetti's use this type of jaw system as well.

If you find that you might prefer a pedestal base, there is one available here. The shaft on a Danvise won't fit the standard 3/8" shaft bases of most other vises - a Danvise has a 10mm shaft.

I have owned a Danvise for about 5 years. No complaints at all. Not flashy but it works just as well as any I have ever tried.

Awesome--thanks guys. I'm glad the jaws are similar to the renzetti's. I liked their 2 piece jaws. They seemed to hold a small hook well. Just a bit out of my price range.

X-Mas was good...

Even got to do some fly fishing today:)

I've been thinking about the extension arm, have you used it or just saw one?

Rob

Westvleteren12 wrote:
X-Mas was good...

Even got to do some fly fishing today:)

I've been thinking about the extension arm, have you used it or just saw one?

Rob

Well at least one of us got out today..... :roll:

Never got a chance to try that extension arm out. The guy I saw that had one was busy tying on it. A year later, he was using a different vise. I did ask him how he liked the extension arm, and he said it worked well. He just wanted a pedestal base, and wound up with a new vise.....

Back