Dan craft FT

jayL

jayL

I have told a few of you about the custom dan craft FT that I was getting for my birthday. I finally picked it up this weekend.

Just in time, since I broke my other 9' 5wt. I cast it on the deck, and it sure is fast. Feel free to give it a cast next time you see me. I've been told that it's tough to beat for the money. We'll see. I am happy so far.

Attachments

• IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 3
Looks sweet, the wraps and that handle is an unsual looking shape in the picture.. Looks really good, makes me want to learn to build my own.

So, is it a good replacement for the lost Loomis?

I believe it will be my new primary rod.

I didn't want to go with a cigar grip. This one is a bit oversized, as we fit it to my hand. I like it so far.

Looks sweet Jay! I hope it fishes as well as it looks.

I like the Grizzly hackle wraps. And it's got your name on it. Only problem I see is with that reel is set up wrong handed.

Nice - Jay. I'm very interested how it works out. I've read so much about those blanks...even talked to Dan himself on the phone a bunch when i was considering my 5wt purchase. I'd love to hear how it fishes for you - and would love to cast it next time i see you..(not to mention get my hat and glasses case :) )

Perhaps in NY...or when valley gets some water in it.

nice setup you got there. Is that a locking reel seat? It's hard to tell from the pics.

Yep. It's a locking reel seat with wood insert from Dan.

The blank, guides, and reel seat were about $150 total, I think.

I went with single foot, because I figure that less wraps = better preserved action on the rod.

Nice - that is pretty damn cool.

How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Very nice Jay...I'd love to give it a throw sometime!

Wow! That came out great!

Two things come to mind:

1 - Hope you tied a good line to backing knot. ;-)

2 - Latch onto that girl, she's a keeper!

Congratulations Jay. It was worth the wait.

Verigated thread...you're so 80's.

Looks good.

The guy that built it is in his 70s, so he mixes styles over a long period of time I guess :). I like how it turned out.

wsender,

$150 for blank, guides, and reel seat. He made the grip for me. I didn't pay a dime. Girlfriend and her family picked up the tab for the components, and her uncle built it for me for free. Not sure what a custom job like that would cost.

A custom job, for a quality builder, would be a minimun of $8 per wrap.

So a 10 guides and trim wraps....around $100.

(I always charged extra for multiple colors, but my single color wrap on single foot guides prices was lower)

WOW - so the GF and the Family got it for you. Slippery slope , slippery slope. I see a house payments and a minivan in your future

I would say $50 - $150 for an average rod depending upon who you use to source the parts. A builder who is selling you a Winston/Sage blank at retail and supplying average parts should do it for $50 - 75 because they are making $100 - $150 on retail pricing sale of the blank, seat, guides, etc. If you buy the blank, parts, etc and ask a builder I would expect him to charge more as he is not profiting from the sale of the blank/parts. Customization, high end parts, difficult builds and "builder name" can significantly increase the price.

Bruno wrote:
WOW - so the GF and the Family got it for you. Slippery slope , slippery slope. I see a house payments and a minivan in your future

She's in Med School right now.......so Jay's covered.....;-)

First off, the rod looks great Jay. I agree about some of the wraps looking a little funky.

If you have the time, check out my buddies site, especially the gallery. I'm getting my switch made for Alaska in the next few months. I have an RX8+ 6 wt, and an RX6 2wt.

I've casted all the big name rods, and these compare without a doubt. Plus, you're supporting a local builder, and getting a better bang for your buck.

www.laurelridgerods.com

He does work with Dan Craft/Rainshadow...etc.

fair prices, an excellent, young builder.

Back