Dam removal in Codorus Creek

C

chuckytown

I recently fished Codorus Creek in York County. It was numbingly cold in the middle of the summer. This is because the dam upstream is bottom-release. There's a trophy trout project section downstream. As I understand it, the dam there is good for trout.

In a creek with otherwise serious thermal issues, wouldn't the existence of this type of dam be beneficial to the trout population of the creek? In a degraded watershed that cannot otherwise sustain trout, wouldn't the removal of this type of dam eliminate the trout population?

Note: They are not removing the dam on Codorus Creek. Sorry to alarm you.

Chucky,

As you know that dam was built to sustain the water resource needs for the Glatfelter Paper Company. It provides a couple miles of excellent wild trout water and a massive recreational lake and park as a byproduct. Another byproduct of its existance is the effluent that essentially destroyed the Codorus from the paper plant through York Pa. (about 20 river miles). While the effluent has cleaned up significantly over the years and the bass population improved, they still feel that its easier or more profitable to continue polluting and pay the fines (used toward environmental stewardship) rather than cleaning up the effluent.

Yes the Inky Stinky is a great trout stream until it gets to the place that put it there.

Dams on large reservoirs are rather different than low-head dams on streams. Many cases of "dam removal" on streams refer to the latter.

Oh, thanks JayL. Now I know. The lower reaches of that creek did seem "wrecked for trout" while I was driving past. I agree that low-head dams are troublesome.

Maurice, I did not know about a paper company - I was on a car show trip with my wife and I decided to do some Class A trout fishing for the first time. I spent an hour early Sunday morning that weekend trying to find it.

Also the land by the dam is posted because of fisherman arguing with the land owner on opening day this year

I always remember my grandfather calling it the "Inky Stinky Codorus". I believe it is probably one of the most polluted streams in the state. At least down stream of Spring Grove.

The smell eminating from the town of Spring Grove, where Glatfelters is located, is so pungent that I have been able to detect it's stench all the way downstream to John Rudy park at Sherman St. at least 20 miles down stream on damp or foggy mornings.

Other than the uppermost 2 miles it is highly posted and runs mostly on private land.

If you want to do some brown lining and catch some suckers I would go right downtown in York. I've stood on the George Street bridge and counted dozens and dozens of big suckers and carp.

Although, I've heard that stream conditions have improved over the years on the lower Codorus. I read that in a recent electro-shocking, many species showed up including walleye and trout downstream of York City. I've caught walleye in the Codorus, and smallmouth too. This stream is mostly overlooked downstream of York.

Still, the Codorus Creek is far from where it should be in it's lower reaches, and the creek bottom appears to have a dark stained color or grime on it's rocks and streambed.

Back