Czech-style Hare's Ear

T

tctrout

Featured on YouTube, in this video I tie a Czech-style Hare's Ear nymph. The version is in line with the "guide style" of flies, though I do discuss some options for the pattern. I want to stress that I tie this pattern in larger sizes (8-12), and primarily fish it in faster water.

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN2andIBtVY[/youtube]

Nice tie Tim

odizz17 wrote:
Nice tie Tim

Thanks; I appreciate it! This is a simple tie (similar to the Walt's Worm, with the dubbing loop adding some texture), though the options that I discuss definitely give it more "fly shop bin" appeal. The key is the water type the pattern is fished in, with the addition of a micronymph trailing.

Thanks again for the comment,

Tim

what do you mean by guide style? Simple and quick to tie? I am just curious about that term because I hear it often and I don't really understand it.

I don't mean to answer for TC, but this is how I interpret the moniker. Minimal materials, easy and quick to tie, impressionistic, and, most importantly, catches fish.

Due to minimal materials and quick tying time it's not a huge loss when it gets hung up on the bottom.

Thanks BC that's what i thought. Pretty much how every fly should be tied lol.

mcwillja wrote:
Thanks BC that's what i thought. Pretty much how every fly should be tied lol.

BrookieChaser, you said it perfectly.

Unfortunately, not every fly can (or even should) be tied that way, but many in my boxes fall in this category. I fish these patterns in situations when fish are not as selective, or in fast water when fish don't have as much time to inspect the fly.

TC

I go through phases with this mind set. For the most part I think I tie quicker ties then need to tie more involved flies once I awhile. Although one tiers quick and easy is another's too involved. I really like the quick ties but need the involved ties to feed tying needs in myself, and when I lose them it doesn't matter I got past that long ago. I'm one of those that enjoy time spent at the vise as much as in the water. Nice vid as always Tim.

^ +1

lv2nymph wrote:
I go through phases with this mind set. For the most part I think I tie quicker ties then need to tie more involved flies once I awhile. Although one tiers quick and easy is another's too involved. I really like the quick ties but need the involved ties to feed tying needs in myself, and when I lose them it doesn't matter I got past that long ago. I'm one of those that enjoy time spent at the vise as much as in the water. Nice vid as always Tim.

I definitely know what you mean, and understand the phases. It's great to see those at the extremes; I met a tyer last year who only tied salmon flies. From the other end of the spectrum, a good buddy of mine believes that if it takes more than two minutes to tie a fly, it can't be any good.

For my personal tying, I love trying new patterns and techniques, though occasionally find myself reaching back to some of the classics. It's great to have a hobby that allows us so many options.

The Czech-style Hares Ear is a quick tie, though the dubbing loop can be cut if trying to speed up. A dubbing loop is actually something I use a lot, though normally for the entire body (especially on smaller flies). Changing techniques such as that can be small, but have an impact on the fly overall.

Tim

Hey, that's a nifty dubbing loop tool. I suppose I could man up and buy one instead of using an old twisted up paper clip.

NickR wrote:
Hey, that's a nifty dubbing loop tool. I suppose I could man up and buy one instead of using an old twisted up paper clip.

Nick,

The dubbing loop tool from Stonfo is the best I've ever used...period. Remember, Christmas is coming up!

TC

Back