Czech nymphs

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

Do you guys use any of these for trout. My understanding is that they mostly imitate caddis. What colors are you using if you do use these? Are you putting hot spots on them also?

b&g - check out page 10 of this article. There's more than one type of Czech nymph.

I prefer this one. :-D

Attachments

• Czech nymph.jpg
    Czech nymph.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3
Nice.

Dam mine never turn out that good Ed. Oh, thanks for the link too.

I use them and have done well with them. I tie my nymphs with darker colors and I put a hot spot on some of them. I use Knapek scud/cz nymph hooks in size 8, 10, and 12 for most of my nymphs.

My best story on a CZ nymph saving the day had to do with tryin to catch selective trout feeding on top with no luck. I opened my box and my friend said big browns love those things, refering to a size 10 cz nymph. I figured that I would give them a try and on the 3 cast caught a nice fat 15" brown. The cz nymph saved my day that day.

I tie mine in sizes 8-14, and in olive, caddis green, insect green, pink, orange, are's ear and cream, and I've always been partial to hot spots...

blackandgold4ever05 wrote:
My understanding is that they mostly imitate caddis.

I can see that. In some cases, perhaps even a scud.

Here is my first attempts at some Czech nymphs. I added the hotspots and also got some quick descent dubbing I really like so far.

IMG_5529.jpg

IMG_5530.jpg

IMG_5531.jpg

IMG_5532.jpg

I'd try to tie them a little slimmer, but not a bad start...

Thanks guys. Yeah, figured on next ones, I could go a little slimmer. These were tied on size 8 offset scud hooks.

Nice flies!

i would also use clear scud back and color the head and thorax only but not a bad start i would use dark brown sharpie or prismacolor for thorax and black fo the heads but not on all czech flies ive had luck with these

i like these for around here;

Attachments

• DSCF2017.jpg
    DSCF2017.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2-24-12 018.jpg
    2-24-12 018.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2010.jpg
    DSCF2010.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 2-24-12 020.jpg
    2-24-12 020.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3
flipnfly wrote:
i would also use clear scud back and color the head and thorax only but not a bad start i would use dark brown sharpie or prismacolor for thorax and black fo the heads but not on all czech flies ive had luck with these

I used natural, mottled thin skin for backs and colored head and thorax with black sharpie. I have clear scud back and some other colors. I plan on playing around with the scud back material and different colors. I also got a brown sharpie just for these flies. Just need time now to sit down and try all kinds of combinations.

What do you guys use for a rib? I used 5x tippet material. I have some different colors of utc wire I can try. I also saw a video on YouTube of a guy using crystal flash ribbed before pulling back over and then ribbing with the mono... I guess the possibilities are endless and could eventually have a fly box dedicated to just Czech nymphs. I'd like to gain some confidence in these flies on my local streams before I tie that many.

for the rib, I use pearl krystal flash under the shellback and ten rib over that with 6x tippet material after tying down the shellback.

i use mono for the rib i try to stay more natural looking so i stay away from hot spots and krystal flash most of the time sometimes you just cant avoid using that stuff because thats what the fish want.... but i dont tie much with it

edit:

you can also fish czech style with regular pattterns too just be sure to weight the crap out of them to help them get down quickly...
but as far as czech style i dont do it by the books i like a farly longer leader but not like 13 feet as used in french or spanish euro styles i mix it up and thats what works for me but i would like to try the curly q thingy again with micro nymphs and an up stream attack sorry for getting off topic ill stop now

Not off topic... I appreciate the feedback. I tie my other nymphs in all weights, some being lead wrapped with tungsten bead. I use a furled leader at the moment that is almost 6 ft with 4-6 ft of tippet attached. I'm not near "by the book" on any of it. I'm fairly new to flyfishing and nymphing (about 2 or 3 yrs). Ive read different books like Daniel's dynamic nymphing and Humphreys trout tactics. I also incorporate what I've learned from other anglers, such as you guys and friends I fish with. I'm basically just toying with all kinds of ideas to see exactly what I like best at this point.

They almost always do the trick for me in deep fast water. I don't under-rib them because I like a flashier shellback and i think its overkill. I use the Hends shellback stuff.

I also like mono for the ribbing and I color the top of the thorax with marker.

I've had good luck with them as well. I can't figure out if they work really well or if they are just one of my confidence baits.

I tie them subdued. Size 14. No flash. No fluorescent hot spot. I marker the inside of the plastic shellback from olive to red-brown to a dark head. The red-brown is a hot spot but it's very subdued.

After reading this thread, I think I'll try a few new ones this weekend. I really like the idea of using flash under the shell-back.

B&G4EVER05

Those are very very good and will work well. Nice job.

Back