Cutthroat: Native Trout of the West, by Patrick Trotter

T

troutbert

I've been reading the second edition of this book and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning more about cutthroats, and about trout in general.

He writes in depth about scientific topics related to trout, but in an easy-to-read style. The book also includes a great deal of western history.

And the cutthroats are shown in Joseph Tomelleri's illustrations, which are superb.

Humm.. think cutthroats have awesome beauty.

Have caught Yellowstone cutthroats (caught in Rock Creek MT drainage) and this year I caught my first Westslope cutthroats (Bitterroot drainage). Think it is exciting to catch new species. pics below

There are goldens in MT in alpine lakes I look forward to catching but not in the cards this past trip. Someday I will catch some goldens in CA and other strains there.

Perhaps some day when I am a grizzled fly fishing vet I will chase some cutts in AZ- not on short list yet.

TB- where have you fished for these out west? And what type of cutts have you caught?

Sometimes I find posters pictures and trips inspirational and makes me want to take a trip and pursue new angling opportunities. Who does'nt like to dream?

Attachments

• yellowstonecut.jpg
    yellowstonecut.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 5
  • westslopecutt.jpg
    westslopecutt.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 8
  • westslopecutt1.jpg
    westslopecutt1.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 7
acristickid wrote:
Humm.. think cutthroats have awesome beauty.

Have caught Yellowstone cutthroats (caught in Rock Creek MT drainage) and this year I caught my first Westslope cutthroats (Bitterroot drainage). Think it is exciting to catch new species. pics below

There are goldens in MT in alpine lakes I look forward to catching but not in the cards this past trip. Someday I will catch some goldens in CA and other strains there.

Perhaps some day when I am a grizzled fly fishing vet I will chase some cutts in AZ- not on short list yet.

TB- where have you fished for these out west? And what type of cutts have you caught?

Sometimes I find posters pictures and trips inspirational and makes me want to take a trip and pursue new angling opportunities. Who does'nt like to dream?

I don't get west nearly as much as I'd like to but over the years I've fished for Greenbacks in Rocky Mountain Park, CO.
Yellowstone Cutts in Yellowstone River and Hell Roaring Creek, both in Yellowstone Park
Rio Grande Cutts in southern CO
Westslope Cutts in St. Joe River, ID

But there are loads of other places, many probably better than these. The book has info on loads of streams and rivers to get you dreaming and trip-planning.

TB- what are your crib notes on sea-run cutthroats?

I dont know much about them.

acristickid wrote:
TB- what are your crib notes on sea-run cutthroats?

I dont know much about them.

The book has a whole chapter on them and the author grew up fishing for them in the Pac NW.

I've never fished for them. From what I've read the populations in Washington and Oregon, like the salmon and steelhead runs, are not doing that well and you have to pay your dues to catch them.

I've caught many cuts and rate them just above whitefish-
they aren't bows for sure.

Back