Custom Rod Case for Backpacking

B

Bogey

Hey guys, like many of you on the site, I'm also interested in hiking/backpacking to remote areas. I am designing a custom rod case and looking for a material that is as light as possible yet still provides extreme protection for my 4wt. I have seen some ideas on a Google search, but am looking at as many options as possible.

I have seen the clear plastic shipping tubes which are great for size, but I'm looking for a harder material for more protection.

Thanks,

PVC; you can get threaded ends and screw on caps.

Get 2 inch drain line, not supply lines. Drain line is thinner.

I have even see people cut out a little notch to the reel can still be attached and then a cap threaded on to secure everything.

I make mine outta black ABS pipe. Durable and much lighter than schedule 40 PVC pipe. You can do a simple screw cap on one end of it or you can get fancy with them and make a cloth cover for it. My mother sews as a hobby so she has made me a few covers for them with zippered tops. I can snap a few pictures after work if youd like

Great suggestions, thanks. Steveo- Can you post some pics? By the way, great blog and nice photography. I treated myself to a new dslr this Christmas and can't wait to bring it on some fishing trips.

This is thread on backpackinglight is helpful- https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/12206/

I went with Cellulose acetate butyrate tubing.

Great info..where did you buy the cellulose acetate butyrate tubing from?

I bought mine off of the us plastics website listed in the thread.

Carbon fiber tubing, just google it for suppliers. nothing will be lighter.

MKern wrote:
PVC; you can get threaded ends and screw on caps.

Get 2 inch drain line, not supply lines. Drain line is thinner.

I have even see people cut out a little notch to the reel can still be attached and then a cap threaded on to secure everything.

Inch and a half works. I use schedule 40 which isn't the lightest, but it gives you maximum protection. It also makes a damn good club in case you run into a bear, mountain lion, or Sasquatch. ;-)

I glue foam padding inside both ends to add additional protection.

Very cheap, and very functional.

Good for shipping rods in as well, which explains why I don't have any right now.

I have a split bamboo travel rod I have been meaning to rebuild. For that I will likely need 2 inch, but it will be much shorter.

Stainless steel 1.5" OD .035" wall 2 ft long weighs 1 pound. Crush the bottom end in put foam in the bottom and a cork on the top.

Back