custom dubbing blending

mutzinbaugh

mutzinbaugh

after reviewing a previous thread on this site there seems to be some who use a coffee grinder and some who use a blender. i do not have either so i am going to pick one up this weekend...what do you guys recommend?

I mix and rip by hand. That is just cuz I don't drink coffee.

coffee grinder works well , I usually blend a large batch of hare's mask/ fox squirrel then add different colors and some antron to adjust for different bugs in individual containers

I've never used a blender so can't help there. I use a coffee grinder and I'm very happy with the results I get with it. You don't have to put alot in at once to get good results, any amount really. It fluffs the dubbing up nicely, you get a very good mix also. When you blend the dubbing don't push the button down for a long time, just a couple of one to three second bursts is all you need to get a good mix other wise it will ball up on ya.Kinda like tap..tap..tap and check to see if it's where you want it. Like said above you can cut up antron, sparkle yarn, or any other synthetic and get a cool custom blend. The possibilities are endless, and best of all bean grinders are cheap at wally world, around ten bucks I think? I've had mine awhile so maybe a couple dollars more not sure.

great, coffee grinder it is.

last year i tried a food processor or what ever chops up dried meat into dust. it works ok but there are 2 big blades in there that do not blend well.

i am going to try fox dubbing and a dark pink synthetic for a sulphur body this weeknd in the new wally world coffee grinder and will let you guys know how it works.

thanks!

Been mixing by hand for years.

Yea me too, till I saw what the grinder can do.

I still do small batches by hand ,or add some other materials (rubber legs, etc.) by hand , but the main mix in a grinder.

I mix small batches by hand until I have what I want and then will use the grinder for a large batch. You have to be careful with wool and antron type stuff because it will pill up or melt. A neat trick I learned from Charlie Craven is to put the material in a ziplock bag with a couple of pinholes and seal the bag around the straw of a can of air (the kind used to clean electronics). I think he has a video of this on youtube. It works well but can make a tremendous mess if your not careful. I've also seen reference to guys using a jar of water and shaking the dubbing to mix it. You squeeze it in a strainer and let it dry. This has an added benefit of felting some materials. I'm going to try that soon to tie some of Polly Rosoborough's fuzzy nymphs.
Mike.

A neat trick I learned from Charlie Craven is to put the material in a ziplock bag with a couple of pinholes and seal the bag around the straw of a can of air (the kind used to clean electronics).

I've done this with Hares Ear and it works really well.

can of air = becker with a straw

Would that be hot or cold air?

Ouch, I am telling on you.

Go ahead, I've clapped erasers before.

O it will be worse then that, but I care not to elaborate and throw this thread way off track. Lol

He threatened to tell on me today too. All bark no bite.

Yea, but I can actually tell your mom, and she could literally ground you. Ha

I need to see some water soon

SBecker wrote:
Yea, but I can actually tell your mom, and she could literally ground you. Ha

"Mrs. Friedrichs, your son told me I fish with green weenies."

...she'd probably just file for a restraining order.

Back