Curved Nymph Hook for Dries?

L_soult

L_soult

Hi Guys and Gals-

I’m a novice fly tyer that fishes for brookies on small freestones.

I am able to hold my own on my local streams with the EHC’s, Stimulators, and Adams flies I tie.

i accidentally bought a box of size 14 scud/pupa hooks.

Although I understand that they’re untraditional for tying dries, is there any reason I shouldn’t use these for my go-to patterns?

The fact that they're curved shouldn't be a problem, many emerger patterns use curved hooks.

The weight of the hook, however might be a problem. Are they marked as 2x heavy (or any X heavy)?

It says:

1X Strong

1X Strong

I tie my size 18 caddis dry flies on 2487 scud hooks. I like the gap advantage, and I can shorten the wing to imitate a size 20 caddis. A win-win.

L_soult wrote:
is there any reason I shouldn’t use these for my go-to patterns?

They'll work okay.

The shorter, curved shape of the hook will produce a fly that looks a bit odd and won't match the ideal form of a traditional dry fly. However, in terms of fishability, they will perform fine.

Frankly, if it were me, I'd save the scud hooks until you want to tie sub-surface flies as they are much better suited for this. Order some dry fly hooks for your dries. You'll be happier with the final product.

Sounds like they should work for what you tie. If you don’t like them for dries they work good for sucker spawn, eggs and emergers.

I started using TMC 2488 curved hooks for 18s and 20s for tricos both dry and sunken patterns. They have a straight eye which gives a larger gape.

I tie my CDC and Elk patterns on the TMC 2488. I use size 10 down to size 16. It's a good brook trout pattern. I also use size 20 and 22 for my dry midge patterns

Emergers...sure.

Dries...probably not.

JerryC wrote:
I tie my CDC and Elk patterns on the TMC 2488. I use size 10 down to size 16. It's a good brook trout pattern. I also use size 20 and 22 for my dry midge patterns

I also tie my dry midges with 2488's.

TMC 2488 (straight eye) and 2487 (down eye) curved hooks are light wire, short and wide gape hooks.

I too use them for emergers in larger sizes and for midges and tricos in size 20 and smaller.

The OP has scud hooks which are heavy wire and may not be suitable for tying dries.

All the time; parachute style and no tail for a different look (16's and smaller).

Back