Cricket Craziness

jifigz

jifigz

So, not sure about the rest of where ya'll live, but around here we have possibly the largest hatch of crickets I have ever witnessed. They are everywhere this year in numbers like I don't ever remember seeing. So, first of all, has anyone been experiencing the same explosive number of crickets in their areas? And secondly, has anyone been out on some better streams having success on cricket patterns? I can think of a few streams around me where I might have to go cricket fishing and see if I can tempt some nice browns to the surface.

Also, any pattern recommendations? I basically only tie this foam cricket thing that I learned from somewhere and I'm not even sure if I've ever had a wild brown take a crack at that pattern.

The classic PA pattern is Ed Shenk's Letort Cricket.

A good variation is making the body with spun deer hair. This help it float well, and also makes a nice PLOP when it hits the water, which attracts fish.

In my experience smaller crickets work better than big ones. (Same with hopper patterns.)

I've seen some crickets around, but not in big numbers.

All the bugs have been plentiful this year around the farm, including crickets. Must be a result of the wet spring.

Lately I have been seeing a ton of crane flies. I even had a few got in the house. Front yard was loaded wih them when I mowed on Friday.

At least I think that is what they are. Look like massive mosquitoes. We used to call them mosquito hawks.

Terrestrials should be working well.

As a side not, I'm also seeing lots of baby snakes, toads, frogs, and tree frogs which are likely a direct result of the massive food source. Had a tree frog hanging out on the deck railing for at least two days straight this weekend. He perfectly matched the stain.

I like throwing them around dusk under overhanging brush.

FarmerDave wrote:
All the bugs have been plentiful this year around the farm, including crickets. Must be a result of the wet spring.

Lately I have been seeing a ton of crane flies. I even had a few got in the house. Front yard was loaded wih them when I mowed on Friday.

At least I think that is what they are. Look like massive mosquitoes. We used to call them mosquito hawks.

As a side not, I'm also seeing lots of baby snakes, toads, frogs, and tree frogs which are likely a direct result of the massive food source. Had a tree frog hanging out on the deck railing for at least two days straight this weekend. He perfectly matched the stain.

So I live surrounded by fields basically for quite a distance. Generally at this time of the year we have a lot of grasshoppers roaming around. This year, not so much with the hoppers but crickets just everywhere. I can hear them chirping nearly nonstop all day and especially all night no matter where I am. I think I have about 500 in my house that are sustaining themselves on my bowl of cat food and whatever else they find. I ate a sandwich the other day and just sat my plate on the floor temporarily and when I woke up from a brief nap there were like 4 crickets sharing one leftover french fry. I'm sure that they are actually starting to eye me up in my sleep..

I think I know the Shenk's Cricket Pattern. I'm not the greatest guy behind the vice but I'm good enough, maybe I'll try to learn that and see if I can get a few on them here.

We basically live int eh same area, but yeah hoppers and crickets everywhere.

I mowed like a month ago and called it the great grasshopper massacre of 2019.

I have had great experiences tossing foam hoppers. Some of the best, explosive takes I have ever had.
Then other times, nothing.

This year might be different though.

MY kids feed hoppers and crickets to the orb weavers around the yard. Some are on their 4th clutch of eggs. So yeah, more spiders next year.

Caught a cricket in my house this morning but, overall, I have not noticed or heard more crickets than usual. I'm going to pay a bit closer attention now that you have mentioned this. I have noticed lots of hoppers in certain areas.

Speaking broadly, it's been my experience in past years that there is something of a burst of activity among crickets and grasshoppers this time of year and this lasts until about mid October, which tends to coincide with first frost. These bugs are big and on the move now. It has also been my experience that, when conditions are dry and warm in the fall, this effect is enhanced. Here in SCPA, it has been dry and very warm lately (high was about 90 yesterday).

Another broad note on crickets: the streams in my neck of the woods, especially the famous meadow limestoners, often have their banks grown over with dense clumps of jewel weed. The crickets just love this stuff. Rummage through this sometime and you'll be amazed at the numbers of crickets, although these tend to be smaller and more in the light brown color tones.... which might explain the effectiveness of smaller crickets mentioned by Troutbert. These plants also harbor great numbers of other insects, including spiders (duh!)

I've long felt that terrestrials ought to be talked about as much, if not more, in the autumn than the summer.

Thanks for kicking off this thread - good topic!

Totally Dave, from now until mid October or even early November there will be a ton of hoppers and crickets. There are always are here being surrounded by soybeans and corn fields. But, as I pointed out, it seems like more crickets than ever. I will be tying and fishing some crickets/hoppers but I tend to get so bored fishing dries and generally switch back to nymphs/streamers.

On another note, in my experience this time of the year also offers some of the best popper/topwater fishing for smallies and whatnot as well.

Around my area.... crickets like I've never seen before. Not plague proportion but amazing. Same with mole crickets

Throw to the bank. Paul G. GG

I notice field crickets all the time along the meadow streams. Havnt really noticed a lot more this year than the past.

For fishing Crickets, I’m also in the early morning/late evening camp, although they can work well during the day. Shenks Cricket is without a doubt one of the more famous patterns that remains a top fly for prospecting fishy areas along the banks, and structures. Not to mention, all that deer hair makes it work really well as a dry-dropper fly.
The baby-boy Cricket is another favorite I tend to fish on brookie streams where trout tend to be a little less fussy.

Forgot to add. Ive been tying the Letort Cricket for quite a few years now, and I have yet to find good quality piece of Black deer hair that I’ve been satisfied with. Good quality natural colored deer hair is rather common anymore, but black has been much tougher to find for me. Not sure why this is, but may have to start dyeing my own.

jifigz wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

So I live surrounded by fields basically for quite a distance. Generally at this time of the year we have a lot of grasshoppers roaming around. This year, not so much with the hoppers but crickets just everywhere. I can hear them chirping nearly nonstop all day and especially all night no matter where I am. I think I have about 500 in my house that are sustaining themselves on my bowl of cat food and whatever else they find. I ate a sandwich the other day and just sat my plate on the floor temporarily and when I woke up from a brief nap there were like 4 crickets sharing one leftover french fry. I'm sure that they are actually starting to eye me up in my sleep..

I think I know the Shenk's Cricket Pattern. I'm not the greatest guy behind the vice but I'm good enough, maybe I'll try to learn that and see if I can get a few on them here.

Now that you mention it, I'm not seeing as many grasshoppers this year as last. Mowed about 4 acres last weekend and only saw a couple. Last year was crazy. Maybe it is because they planted corn this year. Maybe it is because I'm seeing a lot more birds that eat them.

LetortAngler wrote:
Forgot to add. Ive been tying the Letort Cricket for quite a few years now, and I have yet to find good quality piece of Black deer hair that I’ve been satisfied with. Good quality natural colored deer hair is rather common anymore, but black has been much tougher to find for me. Not sure why this is, but may have to start dyeing my own.

It's really hard as a DYIer to dye bucktails black and have them come out a true dark, black color.

It is done commercially, but the dying process is very hard on the hair and most tails end up being of poor quality, almost burnt.

I'm always on the lookout for a really good-looking black dyed bucktail.

If you find one...buy it!

I don't use much black bucktail. I think I'm going out later but I'll probably toss streamers. I might whip up a few foam crickets. I just had a good morning mourning dove hunt so the outdoor adventures started early today.

Back