Creatures of the Night

F

Fishidiot

Inshore striped bass fishing along beaches in the summer is often a low light or nightime game. Many of the largest bass caught by surf and jetty guys are taken on live eels at night. I usually do some night jetty/rockpile fishing most years and - like freshwater - prefer dark flies for dark conditions. The flies below are some basic patters I like. The long, rabbit strip flies are meant to imitate an eel or wrymouth and have produced well for me around rocky areas and jetties. The one on the bottom has a mono loop weed guard.

Attachments

• Eel Flies.jpg
    Eel Flies.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 12
I bet they would be great for Largemouth Bass as well. Nice ties.

Tuna, I have fished that fly tied on a jig head for both small and large mouth works great. I like olive as well.

any doubt about stripers eating sand eels...

http://www.causewaybaitandtackle.com/fishing-blog/striped-bass-reports-for-week-of-11-19-09/

WOW!

I think he is talking about regular eels dude, sand eels are a small baitfish where as eels are not. I like olive rabbit for my eel patterns, some are up to 16" long.

Attachments

• eels 001.jpg
    eels 001.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 2
  • eels 002.jpg
    eels 002.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 2
  • eels 003.jpg
    eels 003.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 2
  • eels 004.jpg
    eels 004.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 2
  • eels 005.jpg
    eels 005.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
thanks Sandfly, I'm headed out to Ocean City in August and want to toss some flies in the salt. It looks like your stinger hook is tied into the zonker strip. How is that done? Just wrapped in, or is it done another way?

Any advise on good stainless hooks? I bought some stainless circle hooks a few years back because they were on the cheap, but not sure if those will work or not.

ryguyfi wrote:
thanks Sandfly, I'm headed out to Ocean City in August and want to toss some flies in the salt.

MD or NJ? Week? PM me.

i put 2 holes in strip and work hook through, then add 50lb. Varivas fluoro leader to it. then some crystal flash in pearl or yellow to match bottom of eel. Great fly on the New jersey jettys. i tie a green crab for tautog (blackfish) along there as well.

Attachments

• crabs 001.jpg
    crabs 001.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 2
  • crabs 002.jpg
    crabs 002.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2
Back