Creating your own trout stream

esocidae

esocidae

Hello all. In 2012 I bought a 46 acre farm in Tyler county, WV, and created a wild brown trout stream on my property and adjoining neighboring properties. It is located two counties south of Greene county, Pa. I have studied trout and their habitats personally, and formally. Went to Mansfield University of Pa back when it still had a great fisheries program. I came to fish and love as many wild trout streams in Potter and Tioga counties as I could. I also had the opportunity to electrofish many of those streams as well.

I grew up in Washington county near Mingo park. We had no wild trout streams within 45 minutes and had to rely on stockies or drive to the Laurel Highlands. I came to realize even before my time at Mansfield that even by glancing at a stream, one can soon determine the limiting factor or factors of a stream for supporting a naturally reproducing trout population, whether it be siltation, thermal pollution, or lack of habitat, etc.

So the stream (Elk Fork creek) is in the middle Ohio river drainage. It begins on the divide of where native brook trout historically occurred in the streams draining to the east, as Elk fork drains to the west on its way to the Ohio. The stream is about 12 miles long and runs through forested bottom land. I live about 4 miles downstream of the headwaters, which begin as two springs, accompanied by a third larger spring and one small spring creek about 2 feet wide. The water quality is excellent, and alkaline, with a pH of 8.25 on my property. This county has never been mined for coal, so no AMD, but there are natural oil seeps in the stream bottom, which is neat to see bubbling up to the surface when the water table gets high and displaces it.

I took parameters for two years including pH, temperature and D.O.
The stream has some amazing substrate for its bottom. Few flat rocks and mostly cobble ranging in diameter from a pencil eraser to a golf ball. The stream on my property is about 7-20 ft wide, and runs under a white pine forest. After 2 years of monitoring, I noted that even on 90 degree days that last from June to September here, It was never once above 70, and usually around 66, at 2 p.m.

The first year, in October 2013, I stocked my pond and stream with rainbows from a local hatchery (Rainbowhead Farms, Clarksburg, WV). The rainbows did well in the stream, and most left by April. Its almost impossible to find a farm that raises browns in this state.

In 2014, I built a 37 gallon livewell out of a cooler that I kept in the back of my truck. I used this to transport wild browns home to Elk Fork over the spring and summer. In the fall, I bought fingerlings and adult browns from Zett's fish farm near Snowshoe in Centre county.

That year, there were redds all over by mid November. I counted six on my property. The next spring, I began to hear rumors from down the hollow that people were catching trout, big and small ones.

I should have mentioned that I built an elevated water jack within the boundaries of our DNR laws (less than 12" of drop in the water level). It is the largest hole on my property, at about 5 feet deep. This stream just screamed trout to me once I first saw it. It reminds me of streams in the northern half of Potter county. Not a lot of gradient, but tons of holes and great cover. It looks like a miniature Oswayo.

Long story short, I haven't stocked any trout in the past 6 years, and there are still brown trout here. I have one in the jack dam as of today that's about 18-20" and every bit of 3 lbs. There are green and slate drakes here along with a myriad of other terrestrials, great hatches, and many species of cyprinids. I've seen some small centrarchids here and there like green sunfish, rock bass and little smallmouths. Probably the most unique is the run of Ohio lampreys every spring going to the absolute headwaters to spawn. I'll see 30 of them at a time like salmon running in Alaska.

I also have a small pond (1/3 acre) right next to the stream that is dug into the water table, and has 2 springs that feed it. It never gets above 70 F (after 8 years of monitoring). I have had rainbows and brookies in there that live year round, but rainbows do the best. I brought some wild rainbows home in the livewell and they did great in there too. The rainbows seem to live for about three or four years in the pond. I installed aeration in the bottom of the pond which I generate via an air compressor. In the summer, I only run it at night so as no to deplete the D.O. by pumping hot air into the bottom of the pond.

One thing that I learned as I got older is that it isn't about elevation. there are native brook trout in the Eastern panhandle of WV where the elevation is less than 1000'. Just like there are native brookies in Lancaster county in Pa. Its all about geology. What I find so interesting here is the limestone influence. There is year round aquatic vegetation in the bigger springs that feed it and in the stream itself. Don't go imagining a little LeTort...lol. But its not bad for WV. I have some pics on my phone if anyone is interested. Writing this from my laptop and my pics are on my phone.

I find this all interesting because WV doesn't even try to manage any waterways west of 79 for trout. I realize they aren't traditional, but there is 10 fold better habitat for trout in these streams than the 75 rivers and streams they stock and manage statewide for tourism. Anyone ever heard of our gold rush stocking events? LOL.

Its like in Pa. The nicest and coldest trout stream in Allegheny county is completely ignored by the state because of AMD issues from the past. This would be Peter's creek, and Piney Fork creeks in South Park and Jefferson Hills twps. Its been stocked privately and managed locally as catch and release since 1997. I grew up a few miles from there near Finleyville. There are rainbows year round in that stream because of the deep well mine discharges. That stream runs cold. Cold like a Potter county stream in August. Never above 65 F for its size.

esocidae wrote:

One thing that I learned as I got older is that it isn't about elevation. there are native brook trout in the Eastern panhandle of WV where the elevation is less than 1000'. Just like there are native brookies in Lancaster county in Pa. Its all about geology.

Well, geology, and the percentage of the drainage that's impermeable surfaces (roofs and roads.)

I assumed that it was understood that there are about 10 paved roads in the whole county. There are only about 30,000 people in a 5 county region here. It is WV. Potter county has 10,000 more people than the county I live in if that paints a clear enough picture.

Awesome stuff

That is a fun project

Really cool story, thanks for posting!!!!

You illustrate one point that ive tried to make over and over but seems to fall on deaf ears - trout (especially browns) are much more tolerant of warm water than people think. 70 degree water isn't often gonna kill them. And if it gets uncomfortable, they will find a way/place to make it through. Survivors.

A lot of people in the fishing community act like trout are the wimpiest things alive lol

outstanding - that was an interesting read

well done!

Great read, and a really interesting project.
Interestingly enough, i have seen that stream before. Was down there helping with stream/wetland delin's in februrary a few years ago, and helped delineate a couple of it's tribs (15ish miles in total). I was on the lookout for trout in elk fork and the one trib as it looked like great trout habitat, but never saw any.
Pretty remote area down in there.

Interesting stuff! Sounds like you've done your homework. Glad it's paying off for you. Thanks for taking the time to share that.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the main point I am trying to illustrate is that in this region, Western Pa, Western WV, and Eastern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky all have a plethora of streams just like this one with near marginal conditions, and still have trout year round. With rainbows, there are almost always residency problems. Keep in mind that I only stocked about (75) 5-6" fingerlings and about 40 adults once in 2014. And they're still around. I've been waiting for October to come around as the big guy in my jack dam hole has been there since about May. The water has been the lowest this summer since I started this little experiment, and with 90 + degree air temps we had all summer, I've deduced that the stream would have to go dry to take out the trout, because the temp simply does not get above a certain point no matter how hot its gets. I should also point out that we have very wet mild winters here, and we receive about 12 more inches of precip./year than the east side of the continental divide. It is much more pronounced here in WV than in Pa, likely because the mountains here make a wall almost a mile high. Creating a Seattle like effect called orographic lift if I remember correctly. Things don't really ever get that terribly dry here. My parents live in "trout country" out by Spruce knob and Seneca rocks, and its a desert there every summer come June. I would not want to be a ginseng digger east of the Alleghenies. Lol.

Wow! What a good project! You can be proud of that one!

esocidae: You described a dream project! Thanks for sharing this. I (and, I suspect, others) are living vicariously through you now. Please keep us posted and add photos as you see fit.

So why not brookies? Any thought to what impact the escapees might have downstream or somewhere else in the connected system they might reach?

That is awesome. I often have dreams I found broke trout in the trickle behind the house I grew up in. Is there any recent historical evidence of trout in the stream. Why do you think there weren't any?

There were no trout ever historically stocked here. The only trout besides mine in this drainage are the rainbows stocked in Conaway Run lake. Everything here drains into Middle Island creek (more like a small river) and it is managed as a catch and release musky fishery, as it is the best native musky population in WV. And then to the Ohio river. I considered brookies, but the parameters I collected did not allow for good survival rates. You also need native brookies to start a population elsewhere. There is too much genetic variation in stockie brookies. I.E. the same strain of brookies that live in northern Pa on up to Labrador, would not survive from WV to northern Georgia. They are genetically different. Almost enough for one to be a subspecies. Think of the Aurora trout of Ontario and Manitoba, the Sunapee trout from New Hampshire, and the Blueback trout in Maine, which are actually landlocked arctic char. All very similar to brook trout, yet all have different specific habitat needs.

This state has rarely and still does not stock many brown trout. The most common wild trout in WV is probably the rainbow, with native brookies close behind. There are only around 120 bodies of water stocked with trout, and about 30 of them are warmwater lakes. Trout were never spread around here like in Pa. I know of one other wild brown trout stream nearby and its Boggs run, in South Wheeling. That was done by locals like me.

Most states are not nearly as into stocking everything they can, like Pa.

This story is the best thing I've read this year!!! What an awesome project, and to be so dedicated towards it!! cheers to you for staying with it!!

I'm jealous, thanks for sharing, you made your dream come true!

what an awesome read and as a hydrogeologist well done on all of the hydro work pre biologist work. I've always wondered similar as why those marginal stream never really took off but it seems they just need a little kick to get going again. Congrats on the success of the project my man and big thanks for working so hard to improve wild trout opportunities for folks!

Well done. I had trout in a spring fed creek behind my house for a few yrs. They got big. Blue herons wiped them out. Nothing as cool as what you are doing though. Just introducing them into the stream and look what can happen!

Back