Crawdad's

sandfly

sandfly

Couple of crawdad's I've been using early mornings and nights. Pine is loaded and the trout are taking them.

Attachments

• crawfish 002.jpg
    crawfish 002.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 9
  • crawfish 004.jpg
    crawfish 004.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 5
Bob,
Why the foam?

Does that pattern float? Or do you add a ton of split shot to get the foam down?

lead wrapped shank and a beadchain to flip it and foam for the top, just works here. kinda suspending slow sink. I tie it with furry foam as well.

I like the foam, here on the Yough, the Rebel Crawdad works for the hardware guys and they never run them deep or bounce bottom. Will have to tie a few and see if they work. What size? 6 or smaller?

JH

i was messing around last night, there are my first set. i need to change things up alittle, alittle crude but still will work.

Attachments

• IMG_4158.jpg
    IMG_4158.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4160.jpg
    IMG_4160.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 3
Sandfly,

Nevermind, size 4 hook it is.

JH

Good looking bugs all around fellas

sandy
Lou taught you well LOL
Neat looking !!!!!!!! should catch a lot of fish

How about a sbs so I can copy ere I mean so people can see how its done ,you know what I mean

Henry,
tie in lead and bead chain on hook. tie in sparkle yarn and bleached turkey for mouth parts. Invert hook and tie in foam, tie in English hare's ear in a spinning loop for thorax. tie in (bmfs) hen hackle for claws. pull foam over and tie. dub (bmfs) hen hackle for segments and tie in foam over each. tie off foam at eye of hook and trim. trim foam to look like tail and whip finish. done...

Attachments

• crawfish 006.jpg
    crawfish 006.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 4
Here is one of my crawfish patterns that I have caught a lot of small mouth and trout on.

Attachments

• Crawfish.jpg
    Crawfish.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 4
My favorite crayfish pattern...it's basically just a simplified full motion crayfish, with no eyes or claws. I'll have to give this one a try, maybe in the shallower trout streams.

Attachments

• crayfish.jpg
    crayfish.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2
I really like the Clouser Crayfish. I have been tying it in different colors for a couple of years.

I tie a crawfish with one claw also. It imitates and injured one. In nature if something is injured it makes an easy meal. Not sure if the one claw actually makes a difference but it can't hurt.

Leteras wrote:
I tie a crawfish with one claw also. It imitates and injured one. In nature if something is injured it makes an easy meal. Not sure if the one claw actually makes a difference but it can't hurt.

In speaking with a lot of live bait smallmouth fishers,I noticed that they had often told me that breaking the claws off made crayfish more effective. I saw the logic in it...no claws=less risk and more reward for the fish. I in turn stopped tying my crayfish patterns with claws, which also had the benefit of making the flies a lot faster to tie. Now I can easily fill a box with these in one night.

in nature the smb will come up behind and take the crayfish tail first. they then bite down at the head to break the claws off. you can tell if bass are feeding on them when you see a lot of crayfish pieces (claws and legs) in the water. Pine is covered in them right now.

interesting.

Full mo crawfish for me I also like the HHF
DSC_0278.jpg

Holschlag Hackle Fly

Flies013.jpg

Back