Crappie Pattern

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I have seen many sunfish pattern. I am looking to be able to tie a crappie that would be roughly 3" long. I fish a Spillway and often when reeling in panfish the pike and musky come out of no where and smack them. I had caught of few this way. I really want to create a crappie patern. I had used some of that duck that my boss had gave me to create a quick patern but i think once in the water the fibers will shrink down and have more of a minnow shape than a panfish.

I performed a google seach but only got patterns that are created to catch crappie not mimic them.

Any help will be appreciated.

WOW that musky is insane. I couldn't imagine getting that on fly gear!

It's possible if your geared up properly for it.

You could just do the sunnie patterns in crappie colors...would go with the barred effect.

MR,
You shouldn't need a very exact crappie pattern to entice a pike or musky. The key is quick response time. Bring a big fly rod and have it rigged and set off to the side, When Mr Toothy shows up, yank the crappie away from him and grab the big rod and show him a streamer - the ole bait and switch.

Anyway, with that said, if you want a good pattern, just tie up a Lefty's Deceiver about 3" long and maybe add some gold and green sparkle flash and maybe take a black magic marker to the wings to give it a barred effect like a crappie's flank. Don't forget a bite tippet of wire or heavy flouro.

When I started reading this thread I immediately thought of a deceiver just as FI had recommended. When you tie them try to use saddle hackle feathers sized so that you can incorporate some of the fluffy part of feather near the butt end in your fly to add some additional bulk for more of a panfish type profile.

Thanks guys,

I had a similar question posted on a fly tying forum. They suggested EP material in a baitfish pattern. I am setting up my Hairline order now. It just stinks because Hairline has 2 pages of this material. It is not too expensive but i want to get white, yellow, orange, and green. This should cover perch, crappie, and sunfish.

HEY......I'll bet i fished that spillway. And iv'e caught a few smaller of the toothsome critters. A Clouser in the correct colors with some marabou thrown in for bulk will do the trick and is very durable , try a Bimini twist instead of wire.............GOOD LUCK

Osprey,

The spillway i am talking is Glendale. I hammer pike when reeling in sunfish and rockbass. I just went to www.flytyersdungeon and bought some congo hair. It is much cheaper than the EP stuff.

I sent you a pm about winter stocking with TAP. We just put out around 600 little guys 3 weeks ago in Noels and Benscreek.

I cant wait to hit that spillway with my 8 weight. :)

Gotta watch how ya tye the synthetics materials in. If ya get them too long they tend to knot up.

Back