Crane flys

Acristickid

Acristickid

Know that I’ve had several fishable crane fly hatches.

My recollection is two or three of the emergence that I had good success were in April. One at the end of April was really good.

The trout responded well to twitched flies and or drag. Those flies seems to really flop around good on the surface.

Assume they’re like other bugs where there’s a certain water temperature or light situation not sure exactly but they seem to be fairly unpredictable.

2J2R9bq.jpg

vU1VSLw.jpg

Just came to mind as I went out on a lark Thursday simply because there was nothing else to do ( sunny,cold, and very windy day).

What are your thoughts on crane flies? How do you approach them?

I like craneflies but since I rarely travel with the intent of matching the hatch, I certainly don't go looking for them.

I do agree that they tend to be prevalent in mid-April until about mid-May.

Back in the day, I often found them prevalent on Spring Creek at the same time as caddis. Anglers tended to focus on caddis and I often found the fish much preferred the craneflies and this produced some very good dry fly fishing for me, especially for selective surface feeding fish.

Anyone out on PA streams in the springtime should have some cranefly patterns.

Dave_W wrote:
I like craneflies but since I rarely travel with the intent of matching the hatch, I certainly don't go looking for them.

I do agree that they tend to be prevalent in mid-April until about mid-May.

Back in the day, I often found them prevalent on Spring Creek at the same time as caddis. Anglers tended to focus on caddis and I often found the fish much preferred the craneflies and this produced some very good dry fly fishing for me, especially for selective surface feeding fish.

Anyone out on PA streams in the springtime should have some cranefly patterns.

Interesting subject. I've always thought of craneflies to be the "brussel sprouts" of trout food. I fish a few streams where craneflies are prevalent and are often the only thing present on the stream at the time. The trout most times ignore them even though they are fairly plentiful. But as soon as there is some other hatch available like any mayfly or caddis, the trout begin to rise and snap up these bugs with reckless abandon.

YMMV though depending on where you fish, but just looking at all the fly patterns tied over the years, there are thousands of mayfly patterns as well as caddis imitating patterns, yet very few patterns to imitate the ubiquitous cranefly.

My experience with craneflies has been pretty much the opposite of AFish.

The fish seem to ignore them when there is a hatch of mayflies or caddis on the water.
But they get important when there is not much else for them to rise to.
Usually later in the summer and fall when the major hatches are over.

As for patterns - I used to tie some elaborate ones, with spent hackle tip wings and long spindly legs.
But found that a tan fluttering caddis works just as well as anything else

Always thought it odd the way these bugs roll and tumble around when they're on the water.
And yes, twitching the fly often helps induce a strike.

I use Allen Bright’s tie. It has the hackle at the bend with some yellow or orange Mylar thread up to the eye. Works well

dryflyguy wrote:
My experience with craneflies has been pretty much the opposite of AFish.

The fish seem to ignore them when there is a hatch of mayflies or caddis on the water.
But they get important when there is not much else for them to rise to.
Usually later in the summer and fall when the major hatches are over.

As for patterns - I used to tie some elaborate ones, with spent hackle tip wings and long spindly legs.
But found that a tan fluttering caddis works just as well as anything else

Always thought it odd the way these bugs roll and tumble around when they're on the water.
And yes, twitching the fly often helps induce a strike.

^I agree with your statement above "The fish seem to ignore them when there is a hatch of mayflies or caddis on the water." That's why I said they are the "brussel sprouts" of trout food. Fish eat them, but they are not the preferred fare.

If don't nymph or streamer fish and fish dries all the time (like you do), and only craneflies are present, no doubt fishing some type of fly to imitate them would be best.

They are sorta like the fat girl at the bar around 2am (to coin a phrase from another PAFFer :)

Post much appreciated as I need to tie some.

A very skinny and aptly sized soft tackle is ideal for the Antocha. If the soft hackle is from a game bird, it will take floatant better, though just under the surface seems the sweet spot.

Chauncey Lively had a dry pattern as did the guys at FFP, and the latter may still sell them. I have never tied or used either pattern, both of which were meant for Antocha.

Though PA does not seem to publish macroinvertebrate surveys from streams, other states including MD, do. Antocha are sometimes one of the most numerous aquatic insects present.

Went out again today- my buddy caught a giant on a crane fly larvae.

oD5yYYu.png

I did do to bad with a skittered crane fly either. Whoooo!!!

MoRwB3E.jpg

What a great day!!!

Nice catch!

FFP's crane fly pattern was (may still be) a Delta Wing Caddis similar to this (colors to match naturals).

On Spring and BFC, I’ve been having good luck fishing a pattern I got from one of Davie McPhail’s video (apparently the Britts call them daddy long legs) lately tied on size 10 scud hooks. It’s a big fly but lightweight and with water levels being really low, it seems to be a good finesse pattern. I’m finding if a trout misses or refusal rises to my fly while fishing beetles, a quick switch and they’ll usually eat the crane fly pattern.

Back