Crampon - get rid of the studs

Bruno

Bruno

So recently i started using crampons when fishing. Ridiculously good. I have never used anything better.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Traction-Stainless-Mountian-EnergeticSky/dp/B078C7BY2J/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1516213665&sr=8-9&keywords=boot+crampon

I have also started using them for winter hikes and muddy trails. Slips on and off with ease. Makes it great if you are boat fishing. I hate studs in boat.

I've wondered about that idea, and toyed with it too. How well do these grip on big, slab rock or boulders? I mean big, where the boulder or rock is big enough that both of your feet have to be on it. This is where nearly all of my bad spills have come from when I had studs in my boots. If I'd misjudge the angle of the rock when it was sloping away from me, even only at a mild degree, gravity combined with the slick surface and the studs would turn them into ice skates and down you go.

I gave up on studs because of it. Traction isn't near as good in cobble and smaller boulders without the studs but I'd rarely fall in that instance, and when I do, it's not nearly as violent. Just have to be way more deliberate and feel your way around with your feet.

I actually just use general hiking boots with a soft rubber sole (bought a couple sizes too big to accommodate wader booties) for most of my small stream fishing...You do way more hiking out of the stream than actually in it, and the comfort of the hikers beats the heck out of even "hiker focused" or "ultralight" wading boots. That approach is definitely a trade-off on big water though and I'm currently in the market for a new pair of traditional wading boots for use on bigger water. I'd maybe be willing to try the crampons over top of a pair of the oversized hikers though.

I am coming around to the idea removable bars, chains, crampons.

Love the fit of my Simms G3 but the studs, stars and screws do blow.

these look perfect for the old guy who may not be as nimble as he once was...they look kind of deadly in case you have to fend of a mountain lion!

I have been using crampon style "ice cleats" for years on a pair of Muck Boots I use when bank fishing if there is a thick layer of frozen snow or ice on the foot paths.

I discovered by accident how well they worked IN the water after walking in the creek a few times to release a fish.

HOWEVER a couple of caveats…

First & foremost, BEWARE of large flat sloping rocks!!!!

Second, most of the versions I’ve used have a silicone part the stretches over the boot to secure them. So they stay put, they should be snug which means they are FAR from easy to pull over a wading shoe when it is on your foot. For that reason I put them on my boots BEFORE I put my foot in the boot.

The other problem I just discovered on another pair…the silicone rubber will eventually tear where the stainless steel chains are attached to the rubber, mainly because they are being used in a manner not exactly consistent with their design.

Crampons are really designed for flat ice sheets. Walking up and over rocks and other rugged terrain really puts a strain in the rubber to steel connection.

It won’t happen right away, but it will and when it does, you can’t fix the tear so consider them a throw away solution.

tomgamber wrote:
these look perfect for the old guy who may not be as nimble as he once was...>/quote]

You have described my condition perfectly :) (Except I forget I am not as nimble as I once was) and I am going to give these a try as possible replacements for the sandal type I have been using.

Just an added note: These are for my "Winter" fishing waders. Breathables with insulated boot-foot style. My warm weather wading boots are all studded.

I tried the crampons several years ago and found that instead of making me 'more nimble" they actually made it harder to recover your balance when stumbling in the stream or having a near fall while in the water.Just my experience

I too discovered I was not as nimble as I once was. Particularly in deep water.

I took this as a sign from God, it was time to buy a boat.
:p

So don't these things get snagged on underwater or streamside debris?

As a climber, I can see why one might want to try crampons instead of studded boots. But if you are using serious crampons with front and back points, you need to be extra careful with your feet, because my crampons could slice a hole through a pair of Simms G3 waders about as easily as a hot knife in butter. They could slice a hole in a wading boot without a whole lot more effort. That, and I can imagine they'd be pretty prone to causing trips by sticking between rocks and into roots underwater. None of this may matter, however, if you aren't using front-pointed crampons or are using seriously dull equipment.

Purchase a pair of these ( Crampons from Amazon ) and took a little stroll in the Lackawanna River this afternoon. The Lack is high after yesterday's rain, flowing at 692 cfs and about 3.75' deep at Archbald.

Flow Guage Here:

My observations:

These crampons fit much tighter than the studded sandals I was using. Sandals use velcro straps to hold in place. The elastic strap used on these held much better.

I can see the possibility of becoming uncomfortable walking long distances in these. The spurs on these are longer than studs, so there is no sole contact.

They grip much better than studded boots used in warmer weather or the studded sandals I was using on the boot foot waders.some

I'll give them another try when the water levels drop and will post more about how they feel and work.

Those are ice cleats. These are crampons:

https://www.rei.com/c/crampons?r=c&origin=web&pagesize=90&ir=category%3Acrampons&page=1

I can see how ice cleats could be really useful, and maybe even better than Korkers, but man, when you have stuff that sharp, things get cut. You sure wouldn't want to trip and fall and have one of those come across your shin.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:

https://www.rei.com/c/crampons?r=c&origin=web&pagesize=90&ir=category%3Acrampons&page=1

I can see how ice cleats could be really useful, and maybe even better than Korkers, but man, when you have stuff that sharp, things get cut. You sure wouldn't want to trip and fall and have one of those come across your shin.

^ How 'bout stepping on your $80 fly line?:evil:

afishinado wrote:
SurfCowboyXX wrote:

^ How 'bout stepping on your $80 fly line?:evil:
NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING works better than some brand new Kold Kutter or Gold Ice Screws if you need to quickly and efficiently turn an $80 fly line into two $40 fly lines...

...don't ask how I know. ;-)

Yeah, a crampon can slice a 10.5mm climbing rope with next to zero effort, so a 5 weight line would have no chance whatsoever.

Finally got out fishing the Lackawanna River near Carbondale and used these for about 3 hours. Grip was very good and I am quite happy with how they worked.

I could see where long walks in them might get uncomfortable, but I will accept the trade off for the secure grip.

I could see where long walks in them might get uncomfortable

One of the best things about them is you can sit down and take them off your boots if you need to do a long walk out of the water.

albatross wrote:
I could see where long walks in them might get uncomfortable

One of the best things about them is you can sit down and take them off your boots if you need to do a long walk out of the water.

I have big feet and the crampons were really tight to get on. I don't think they are over-stretched, but I think I would not be happy taking them on and off.

Also, I am glad to have a wader bag so there is less risk of damage to the waders from the crampons when in transit to and from home.

Tomgamber

What's your thoughts regarding this?

Back