Craft Store Peacock Plumes

barrybarry

barrybarry

I see some great feathers at the craft stores. Kind of makes the fly tying bundle that I have look pitiful. Anything I need to watch out for?

I found jungle **** eye feathers (for classic streamers) at a craft store at a reasonable price. I bought a bunch and the quality was at least as good as the ones I've purchased from fly shops. Remember, the ladies buy these feathers to wear and they had better be clean, well presented and good quality or they won't buy them. That being said, fly shops are still best for most fly tying needs in my opinion. But there's no question that you can sometimes find good bargains at craft stores.

barrybarry wrote:
Anything I need to watch out for?

Avoid the pipe cleaners and any thru-wire, bendable materials. These are often produced with dyes that bleed out when wet and the wires soon rust and turn the materials brown.

With that said, I find craft stores a treasure trove for fly tying. All sorts of beads (although mostly plastic), wire, and exotic looking feathers that can prove useful, especially for tying decorative flies.

Back