Cracks on my rod

Stevie-B

Stevie-B

I was in the backyard trying to teach my son to cast. As I was putting my rod together, I noticed on 6 of my 10 guides the epoxy was cracking. As I looked closer I saw cracks around the hook keeper and another one on one of the female ferrules. There has been no misuse of the rod and I always keep it in its tube when not in use. Is this a normal wear thing? None of the guides are lose and it cast fine. I've had this rod for 5 yrs now and it is my work horse. So, should I be contacting the warrenty dept??

I'd contact them. I'm guessing the batch of rod finish wasn't mixed correctly.

Steve,

I have a Sage 3wt from 1984. I use to fish 250+ days a year and it's been abused. I've used it for pitching streamers, nymphs, dries. It's so bleached from the sun, it's not even funny. After 26 yrs, the wrappings are begining to show signs of wear and will need a coat of epoxy soon.

If you are having issues after 5 yrs, I'd contact the company.

yep, I'd contact the company if I were you. doesn't sound like any structural problem, probably just some bad wrap coating. a recoat might be all that's needed, but I'd check with sage first before proceding, they might pay for it or do it themselves, maybe even replace the rod, never hurts to try. there may be other rods from that certain batch with similar issues, at least they will be able to document it.

If your rod is under warranty I would go that route. If you just try to recoat the wraps you will see the cracking underneath.

do you keep it in the car/shed/attic? sounds like a temperature issue... heating up and cooling down rapidly.

i'm with the others... contact the manufacturer to see what they can do!

Back