Cracked fly line!

MathFish

MathFish

I purchased an Orvis Easy-Mend WFF fly line that I have used for almost two seasons. I have washed the line with dish soap 3 times throughout it use in the hopes of keeping it well maintained so it would last (my online research seemed to indicate this was a viable method to clean fly line.)

Yesterday while I was fishing I noticed the line was cracked to the braided core right behind the welded loop! And upon closer inspection, there are tiny cracks forming in the first 5 feet of the line... Also, the first 5 feet of the line has a roughened texture to it - I think that has something to do with the "Easy-mend" trait of this particular line.

Question 1: Do you think if I cut off the roughened 5 first five feet of the line that it would still cast ok? As I understand it, aren't the first 35 to 40 feet of a fly line the weighted part?

Question 2: Is Orvis fly line a brand of line to avoid? If the line survived till summer of 2016, I would have got 2 seasons out of it and I fish about 20 times or so in a season. Side note: I have a $20 Corland line that has been used regularly in the last four years and it is not breaking down.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Can u cut it? Sure. Generally the first 5-10' are not the full wide taper portion anyways. Depends in the line.

The question id have is how far back is the bad line?!?

And why is it going bad?!? Soap? I dont soap mine. Heck i rately even wash them and they last a long time. Sa mastery lines rock! Too bad 3m sold out!

Call orvis they might would like to hear this, most makers do. Feedback is how they make changes.

All makers have high end and low end lines. That said ive had more issues with rios than i've had with all others combined lately.

Ive had this happen so many times. Rio and orvis specifically. Both companies have "warrantied" their products but it gets old dealing with that process. Next line will be cortland or SA.

Cut it back and tie on a loop with mono.

Sa is now owned by orvis...... 3m is out of it!

MathFish wrote:
I purchased an Orvis Easy-Mend WFF fly line that I have used for almost two seasons. I have washed the line with dish soap 3 times throughout it use in the hopes of keeping it well maintained so it would last (my online research seemed to indicate this was a viable method to clean fly line.)

Yesterday while I was fishing I noticed the line was cracked to the braided core right behind the welded loop! And upon closer inspection, there are tiny cracks forming in the first 5 feet of the line... Also, the first 5 feet of the line has a roughened texture to it - I think that has something to do with the "Easy-mend" trait of this particular line.

Question 1: Do you think if I cut off the roughened 5 first five feet of the line that it would still cast ok? As I understand it, aren't the first 35 to 40 feet of a fly line the weighted part?

Question 2: Is Orvis fly line a brand of line to avoid? If the line survived till summer of 2016, I would have got 2 seasons out of it and I fish about 20 times or so in a season. Side note: I have a $20 Corland line that has been used regularly in the last four years and it is not breaking down.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Fly line wears out with use. I typically get 2 seasons out of fly line I use all the time, while I may have a fly line last for 5 or even 10 seasons on outfits I seldom fish.

The Orvis Easy Mend line you have has a longer head / shorter running line for mending more line at a greater distance.

The rough texture you see near the end of the line is manufactured that way for better flotation at the tip.

It's very common for the line to crack behind the loop after a season or two of use. Try cutting the line at the break behind the loop and form another loop with the fly line. You can secure it with a two nail knots. Be sure to seal it and coat the knots and line with Aquaseal, a UV goop or similar product.

Many anglers choose to cut off the factory loop right from the start and nail knot a heavy section of mono with a perfection loop tied on the end.

afishinado wrote:
Fly line wears out with use. I typically get 2 seasons out of fly line I use all the time, while I may have a fly line last for 5 or even 10 seasons on outfits I seldom fish.

^This is the long and short of it IMO too.

My Brookie line that gets beat to all heck, stuck in trees, dragged behind me to the next pool, etc, and fished probably 20 times or more a year, lasts a couple of years at best.

The line I fish on my reel that I use with my 5wt for bigger streams, usually during the Spring hatches, is already 4 seasons old and basically brand new. It generally only gets fished in larger, open water, and maybe 5 or 6 times a year.

FWIW I typically just buy the Cabelas mid range house line product...the one that's usually $40. They can sometimes be had on sale for $30. I'm not sure who makes them for Cabelas. I treat them as disposable basically. When they crack and start sinking, I either throw them away, turn them around if they're a DT, or use them for nymphs or streamers to milk a little more mileage out of them.

IMO type of use and frequency of use are bigger factors in determining how quickly a fly line deteriorates than the actual brand purchased, although I'm sure there is some lesser difference there too. Whether it's worth more of your money is up to the buyer.

All makers have high end and low end lines. That said ive had more issues with rios than i've had with all others combined lately.

Odd. I've a Rio on the reel that I use most weeks and it's lasted close to ten years. I've never had a problem with a Rio line.

Orvis, OTOH, lost my business for lines a long time ago. I bought two of their Wonderlines when they first came out, and neither lasted six months. They claim their lines are better now, but I'm going shell out the money to find out.

Rio or Cortland for me.

Check out Airflo, it will last you many seasons. I've never looked back.

If you're into faster action rods you'll love their Exceed line. I use it with a Sage One.

2 years out of a fly line seems to be what I get out of them too...brand and style doesn't seem to matter

IMO type of use and frequency of use are bigger factors in determining how quickly a fly line deteriorates than the actual brand purchased, although I'm sure there is some lesser difference there too.

I suspect also that type of use may favor one brand over another. We all abuse (may be "stress" is a better word) our lines in slightly different manners. I fish mostly wets, and mostly with cane rods -- not a lot of false casting or high line speeds for me. That probably causes a different pattern of wear than a person who fishes mostly dries, with a lot of false casting -- more flexing of the line.

OTOH, I'm sometimes pretty clumsy and end up stepping on my line far too frequently. That's a different type of wear.

Muddy streams vs. clear streams may make a difference, as well as worn guides, mostly long vs. mostly short casts, frequency of cleaning, what you use to clean the line with (or if you do) -- each may favor one kind of line more than another.

What's good for one person won't necessarily be good for another.

** Can you cut the first 5' off and keep using it?
Yes and maybe no. I'd suggest you consult the manufacturer to see what that will do to the performance. Sometimes, it completely kill the castability.

** Typical for a line to breakdown in 2 years?
When I fished a ton, I'd only get 6-12 months out of a line. I seem to get 3+ years on lines now since I rotate rods and fish less.

At one time, SA made lines for Cabelas. I believe the new lines are a mix of SA and AirFlo depending on line model. I've gotten good lines and horrible lines from Cabelas. Crap shoot IMHO.

I've had good luck with Rio Gold where some haven't. The line I've had perform and last longer than any other.....sharkskin. Its hard on the fingers and annoying to listen to all day but it casts / mends better than any other I've used. Just ordered textured gpx to try out. Should be here Saturday.

Quick couple of questions:
* What model rod are you using?
* Capacity of reel?
* What is your primary type of fishing (dry, nymph, streamer)
* Size of water you normally fish, tiny, small, medium or large?

Depending on your rod model, fishing style and size of water may be better suited for a double taper which gives you 2 lines in one.

Don't look past AirFlo lines as they get great reviews for durability. Wulff ones are another you may want to look at.

Back