Coyote Ugly nymph

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Came up with this one a couple weeks ago just messing with soft hackle nymphs. Becoming quite fond of heavy bead head soft hackle flies.

I wanted to try and come up with something that would be kind of a hybrid you could fish like a nymph, soft hackle and streamer. Ive fished it all kinds of ways and it works well. Dead drifting, swinging, lifting, and stripping like a streamer all have produced fish. It is a simple tie much like a hares ear. I think if you did a dubbing loop on the body it would look better, but I like quick patterns.

Hook: size 6-10 3xl daiichi nymph hook

thread: Danville 140 in tan

tail: coyote mask (pick from area between the eyes, good guard hair and lighter color

ribbing: French tinsel gold oval

body: coyote dubbing (I pick from around the ears and behind them and try to get some guard hairs

Soft hackle: coyote fur

(I cut a snip from the middle of neck and behind the ears, pull out under fur. Turn the fur around so tips face parralell with bead. insert clump of fur with the bead going through the center of the clump. Wrap around leaving a small tag behind the wrap. You may need to cut down the over all length of fur. once you have it tied in, take a pen and slid it over the bead and push the fur back. Now just add some dubbing so the fur now stays in a rear facing mannor.)

You could also do sort of a loop or split thread technique to put that soft hackle fur on there but that is the way I chose to tie it in. I like have a bit more on the top of the bead, but you can tie it even and imagine it would still work.

Bead: 3.8 mm tungsten in black

I really like this pattern and hope if you give it a try will have the same luck I have had. IF you have any question on how to tie this just ask. I have fished this pattern every way you can, and have had fish take it. I haven't tied any smaller ones yet, as I kind of wanted to keep this fly as a bigger streamer, but may give it a try in 14 and 16.

Attachments

• coyote ugly.jpg
    coyote ugly.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 18
Reminds me of Rosborough's Casual Dress, which is tied with muskrat and has always been one of my favorite (and most effective) smallmouth patterns. I really like your pattern-looks like a winner. I think a work over with a dubbing brush might make it even better. Thanks for sharing.

Back