Couple batches of Nymphs

NateFollmer

NateFollmer

Here's my first few attempts at tying Nymphs. I actually find the smaller sizes with BH's easier to tie than anything else...

The black ones at the top are just generic black nymphs... The bottom one turned out better and I added some peacock hurl to the front. They are size 14.

The 4 beside them are Hare's Ear in sizes 12 and 14. I think the best one is the one of the far left and the one facing the other direction (below the group of 3).

The rest are Pheasant Tail nymphs... I like tying them the most (who doesn't?). Sorry the pic isn't too good, I didn't feel like whipping out the good camera until I can make decent looking flies haha

Attachments

• IMAG0069-1-1.jpg
    IMAG0069-1-1.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 11
They are decent.

If I may add a couple suggestions...

You have some thread exposed at teh back of many of the flies. Make sure the material is all the way to the back.

Don't worry about trimming the tails to get the right length.

Some of the flies have no taper. This isn't a bad thing for fishing, because many insect don't have a tapered abdomen, but for tying it's nice to see.

If you are having trouble having enough PT to wrap the abdomen I suggest buying a high quaility tail (the first feather is the best).

The bead makes it easer because you can't crowd the eye.

Thanks for the tips... I'll have to keep watching as I tie to make sure I cover all the thread. How many strands of PT do you usually use for tails/bodies? I'm pulling off about 6 to 7 for sizes 12 and 14. It's coming a lot easier now... I'll post a few more of my recent ties once I get some time. They are finally looking more consistent and coming a lot easier.

Usually 3 for a 14 and 3 or 4 for a 12. I'f I'm just tying to churn them out I'll use more. The reason I use three is to represent the correct number of tails.

Keep in mind I'm very picky when it come to selecting materials and pheasant tails are the thing I'm the most picky with.

A number 1 feather off a good bird will have barbs about 3" long and thick.

We'll have to fish some time and I can show you.

the two pt's on the right look very nice with an exelent taper. your HE's however could use a little less material on the abdomen and tail. i like useing wood duck for the tails on my HE's just cuz its not as bulky and hard to taper the tag ends. nymphs like most flies come alot easier with practice. the more of them you tie the better they will turn out. nice ties man!

If thats one of your first times tying nymphs, your not going to have any problems, they look nice. All of them will catch trout. I'm more into weighted nymphs than bead heads, except midges with 3/32 beads. I'll take the first horizontal one from the top right.

take your bodkin and pick out some of the fur under the wing case. will give them a more buggy appearence.

Thanks everyone! I'll post some pics once I get some tying in again... I think I might be able to fish this weekend!!!!!!!!!! We shall see...

Meet me at "the spot" on tea creek today when you get off work haha.....that's probably the only fishable place around, we can test those ties out

10 4... Was going to try and hit Honey or Penn's this weekend too, if they are fishable by then.

Back