Couldn't cross the Tully

wbranch

wbranch

Started on the Tully at the Paper Mill at 7:00 a.m. The flow was 330 cfs. A couple rising fish but slow compared to when I was there on Tuesday. Around 9:00 I could feel the water rising and much more velocity. I figured it would go up just a litte and the fishng would get better.

Well when it started to rise the water was at my knees and by the time I realized I was in a jam the water was now at my waist and the flow was really pushing me. I was on the side opposite my vehicle. I tried to cross twice and both times got about 3/4 of the way across but the water was over my waist and it was getting deeper and swifter. I checked the flow just now and it is 1050 cfs. Wow, more than 3X the flow of when I started to fish. There is no way I would of been successful. I might of wound up a statistic. The headline would read "Old man drowns on Tulpehocken Creek."

Luckily I am familar with this stream and about 1.5 miles downstream there is a covered bridge. There is a rail trail that runs all along the stream. So at 10:00 I started my walk and I did not get back to my vehicle until 11:15. The zipper on my waders leaked a little when I was in deep and I was soaked from the effort of walking 3 miles with waders on and a light polar fleece pullover. I was beat!

I took off my waders and let my shirt and pants air dry then went to a store and got a sandwich and cold drink. Ten years ago I would of pushed it and really tried to cross and likely would off been knocked down. It was a little scary and if the bridge had not been there I guess I would of had to call 911 to get a river rescue. Now that would of been really embarrassing.

Did manage two 11" browns before the water got so high. Took a 2 hour break after having had to walk so far and drove over the the Manatawny. Water was quite warm and I didn't see a single rise of bug in 2 1/2 hours. I did catch two lovely wild browns and a nice 13" stocked rainbow.

Attachments

• Manatawny rainbow.JPG
    Manatawny rainbow.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Manatawny wild brown.JPG
    Manatawny wild brown.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 3
Yep - turned out for the best. We're glad you made it out safe. It's almost always better to suck up the long walk rather than risk getting knocked over in fast current.

(This thread will be moved to Fly Fishing Locations)

Yep, when I was a lot younger, and stronger, (and careless) I would of tried it - maybe I would of made it but I'm thinking 1030 cfs would surely of knocked me down and with the flow I probably would be a headline in the Reading Times Old Man drowns on the Tulpehocken

The greatest benefit (IMO) of growing older is you tend to listen to that voice in your head that says,"this is probably a really bad idea!" Glad you made it out alive.

Van_Cleaver wrote:
The greatest benefit (IMO) of growing older is you tend to listen to that voice in your head that says,"this is probably a really bad idea!" Glad you made it out alive.

You greatly reduce the chance of growing older if you ignore that voice too many times :)

A smart call to do the walk around. I nearly took a swim in Elk a few years back - blown out, no one else fishing and I somehow thought I would slay them, so I walked downstream, through what seemed miles of green briar plants, somehow managed to cross in a riffle and worked my way back up. Not wanting to walk back downstream and walk back up through the green briar gauntlet there, and facing a green briar gauntlent and steep bank on the other side, I decided to cross. Felt the feet slip, felt the feet lose traction completely, got pointed downstream, pondered what it would be like to take a complete dive in the deep hole and somehow managed to get steered over to the shore instead. Probably the most harrowing stream crossing failure I've endured.

The most harrowing stream crossing attempt that I was successful with involved my buddy getting washed about 100 yards downstream. We were crossing the Loyalsock in full spring runoff, below Haystacks. Had hiked up the side opposite the campsite and didn't want to hike all the way back down to the iron bridge. We were in high school then, so definitely young and dumber.

You don't realize the power of water until you no longer feel your feet on the stream bottom...

You survived a scary situation. The Tully has been running high all Spring. I can see how one can get trapped on the far side. When they release all that water so suddenly they should blow a siren like is done on the Lackawaxen.

I usually ignore that voice in my head, or see it as a challenge. Maybe you'll read about me in the paper one day.

I'm glad to hear you weren't a headline. I've never fished a tailwater (dam release) like that. I'd guess that'd be an unsettling feeling having the water rise around you so fast.

Wbranch,
How long did it take for the water to rise from your knees to your waist, as you described it?

I've done the exact same thing before. When tailwaters rise, it can be very quick.

Rebers might be closer than red bridge.

I staggered, stumbled, fell and tumbled in Spruce today. It was c-cold and that's all I'm sayin'.

Has the downstream speed of the surge ever been quantified for any of these tail waters by the COE or others?

wbranch,

You made a very wise decision. Unfortunately you were at wrong place at the right time. When they decide to release that water in preparation for the forecasted monsoon that was to hit within the next 36 hours the levels can rise extremely quickly. The walk down to the red bridge and back up Tulpehocken Road to your vehicle could have been much worse. Good call on your part.

Wise? He was on a tailwater, which was rising quickly, and continued to try to cross. Twice. Getting 3/4 of the way.

When that thing rises I look for closest shore and hustle there. Going around is easy nomatter where you are.

Those types of ordeals are draining physically and mentally. Glad you made the wise choice, WB.

I was fishing the Tully one weekday afternoon last year below Reeber's when a ranger stopped on the bridge to let me know that they would be releasing within 30 minutes or so and to be off the water by then. I stayed to fish and the water did increase steadily after about 45 minutes and went from knees to chest in about 20 minutes time. Made sure I was close to shore as I did not know what to expect.
I do like the horn suggestion though. Makes sense to me.

If you're on the Susquehanna below Safe Harbor, the sirens will sound and the clock will be ticking...

I don't know how far down the Tully horns could be heard from the dam, but perhaps a wireless option exists. For as popular as the Tully is, it might be a good proposal to put for for TU or some other group.

Back