Costa Tuna Alley Sunglasses

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

Anyone on this site have the Costa Tuna Alley sunglasses? I tried them on this weekend and they fit my face really well. I tried on several pairs and they seemed to fit the best. Just wondered if anyone else has these and what they have to say about them.

I have costa's, though a different model. Fathom is what fits me.

That said, frame is all about getting the right fit for you, so it's different for all of us. Want it to fit tight around the upper part especially, and not let light in from above. On the bottom end, tight fitting feels good but the lesser that gap, the more fogging you get.

What's reviewable is lenses.

And I LOVE my Costa lenses. I have green mirror (amber base) in 580 glass. My only complaint is that they're a bit dark, I think they're only 10 or 12% light transmission. So they're for fairly bright conditions and great for that. For low light, I have a separate set of glasses (Maui Jim with HT lenses).

Get glass, NOT plastic.

Negatives of glass:

1. Impact resistance/protection.
2. Weight.
3. Tend to fog.

Positives:

1. MUCH BETTER OPTICS.
2. Thicker polarizer = better polarization.
3. Won't scratch very easily at all.

Maybe my eyes are more sensitive than most, but the better optics is what I go after, and I clearly see the differences. I think it's important for fishermen especially. If I'm gonna spend that much on shades, I'm gonna get something for it because polycarb is polycarb, and as long as they're ground or molded and not stamped (like gas station cheapies), they all provide similar optics. Poly costa's won't provide sharper images than poly from any reasonably reputable company that charges far less.

Maui Jim, Kaenon, and a few others have developed plastics which fall between polycarb and glass as far as optics (and everything else, too). It's similar to the stuff most modern eyeglasses use. If I was gonna go non-glass, I'd look there. Costa's plastics are regular polycarb, I think.

I haven't been able to compare the 400G to the 580G. 400 nm is approaching UV and most quality sunglasses block that. The 580's have an additional dopant that absorbs light in a narrow band of yellow wavelengths, which mostly it makes the reds and greens really pop. In the absence of a wavelength, your eyes and brain emphasize the other colors near it on the spectrum. It works, but it's somewhat of a parlor trick. They say there's less eye strain, and that may be true, I dunno. One thing to note is that if driving with them on, at stoplights, on some I can't see the yellow light at all, on other lights it's actually enhanced. Must be which LED they use in the lights.

Maui Jim uses a similar dopant, and an additional one in the light blue band as well I believe. So in addition to reds and greens, dark blues and purples pop as well. Costa and Maui are the only two that I know of that use the dopants for color enhancing effects, rather than aim for a fairly smooth transmission curve in the visible light spectrum. Some people don't like it, others love it. I think it's cool, but wouldn't demand it or say it's worth a great deal of money.

I had a different model of Costa's for quite a few years. I believe they were a 580G, in copper.

I second Cray's statement, I'd really recommend the glass verion.

When I bought my new house a few years ago I lost my Costa's in the move and switched to a pair of Smith Optics, the polarchromic copper (in glass) and really, really like them.

If you decide to get the Costa's I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

I have costa"s in amber green mirror 580 glass. had costs in 580 amber no mirror plastic lens as well. the glass lenses are a little heavier but MUCH better in vision quality. I swear by good glasses. I believe they are the most overlooked necessity for fly fishing. tried others such as native, orvis etc. but the costas are worth the money and benefit me more than most other pieces of my fishing equipment. I know native is owned by costa but still no comparison. they hurt the wallet up front but i feel they are worth it in the long run. just my .02.

I have the Tuna Alleys in tortoise shell and brown glass. Love them. The glass does fog fairly easy and weight is more as pointed out but they are nice glasses. Mine are RX.

If they say 580 on them does that automatically make them glass or can a 580 or can they be plastic as well? I know the one's I looked at were 580. I'm kinda thinking though for $150 they must have been plastic lenses but hoping wrong.

I guess 580P is plastic and 580G is glass...

They make 580 plastic as well. That price tag says plastic to me. Glass should run over $200 and in most cases nearer the $250 mark. They usually have them listed as 580p or 580g. I did find a couple pairs on amazon advertised as glass but listed at plastic pricing. They were actually reported and removed from amazon for that.

Yeah, for $150 it's most likely plastic. There is:

400P
400G
580P
580G

P and G for plastic or glass. 400 vs. 580 for style. The 580's have the extra dopant. Not all of their lens colors are available in all types of lenses. Also, the mirrored lenses, that's the color of the mirror, not the base color.

i.e. green and silver mirror are both a base copper lens, and they sell the copper on it's own without the mirrors as well.

Blue mirror is a gray base.

My choice, in order, would be:

580G
400G
580P
400P.

i.e. I put a greater emphasis on glass than the extra dopant. The dopant is cool as colors really pop, but it's just color, not sharpness. The glass vs. plastic adds sharpness.

For color, if you're a PA trout fishermen, I'd go with amber, copper, green mirror, or silver mirror. The sunrise lens is a low light lens, which is useful, but only comes in plastic.

Thanks for the help fellas...just ordered a pair of the Big Tunas in the glass green mirror.

Back