Cortland 444 DT Line. Maybe I'm Crazy

B

Billems

I've been a rabid fly fisherman for 28 years. Halfway through my first season fishing, I bought a Cortland 444 DT line for my 5-weight, and never looked back. Granted, I am near strictly and trout fisherman, so would perhaps need some other kind of line if salmon fishing or something. But for my fishing, this line has been it--for casting, suppleness, and durability. Am I weird?

Looking at a Cortland 7’ 5-6 wt to fix up for a friend. I’m looking for a smooth rod for a 5DT. I have a Pflueger 1494 for it.
This rod has one bad guide that I can handle repairing and needs the tip top cleaned up or perhaps replaced, which I have.
Are these nice rods. And I don’t care if you visit eBay and buy it. There are others that will appear.
Would love to hear from an owner.
A year ago I bought an unspecified 7.5’ 1950’s +/- Wright McGill and , once re-Wrapped became my go to rod for grneral purposes. I like the oldies, preferably hollow fiberglass.

Not only are you not weird, you may actually have a fly rod that casts the line weight written on the side of the blank...

Bamboozle wrote:
Not only are you not weird, you may actually have a fly rod that casts the line weight written on the side of the blank...
Ain't that the truth?

Cool. See what happens.
Thanks.

I use DT 4 made by Cortland but branded through Hook & Hackle. It's probably closer to 333 than 444, but they're flexible, durable, don't crack... and after a couple of years, I flip the line around to get even more usage. One line can usually last 5 years, providing I don't do something stupid like leaving it in the car on a hot summer day or getting DEET on it.

I have a Cortland 444 Peach DT floating 6wt if anyone would want. I used it for like a week and wasn't impressed. Put it back on the spool and threw it in one of my junk boxes.

greenghost wrote:
I use DT 4 made by Cortland but branded through Hook & Hackle. It's probably closer to 333 than 444, but they're flexible, durable, don't crack... and after a couple of years, I flip the line around to get even more usage. One line can usually last 5 years, providing I don't do something stupid like leaving it in the car on a hot summer day or getting DEET on it.

I was always a fan of the Cortland 333+ in that drab olive color gecko. It always seemed to perform great for me especially when roll casting. I was really disappointed to see that line no longer exist. I got the Hook & Hackle line for my one rod and maybe it is the same stuff. It certainly looks like it!

bigjohn58 wrote:
I was always a fan of the Cortland 333+ in that drab olive color gecko. It always seemed to perform great for me especially when roll casting. I was really disappointed to see that line no longer exist. I got the Hook & Hackle line for my one rod and maybe it is the same stuff. It certainly looks like it!

It is Cortland line... the past owner told me it was.... however, Cortland doesn't supply it anymore and Hook & Hackle only has odd sizes left.

FYI -- Cortland still makes 333 line. WF only, no DT. And no drab green, just drab yellow. I hate bright-colored fly lines.

greenghost wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

It is Cortland line... the past owner told me it was.... however, Cortland doesn't supply it anymore and Hook & Hackle only has odd sizes left.

FYI -- Cortland still makes 333 line. WF only, no DT. And no drab green, just drab yellow. I hate bright-colored fly lines.

So Hook & Hackle doesn't have their line anymore? Thats a bummer! I always had the Cortland 333+ WF floating line in the gecko green. Loved that line because it wasn't bright. You can still find it sometims on ebay. It stinks when a product you like gets discontinued.

Not weird at all.
I personally like 444 for most fishing. When i want to go light i take the Spring Creek series out.

Really great lines

No, I like the DT 444 as well and on a few of my smaller rods and reels I cut them in half because the cast on some of the small stream are not lone at all.

Back