Cornplanter Run, Armstrong Co?

steveo27

steveo27

Cornplanter Run in Armstrong Co.

It is listed by the PFCB as a stocked stream, stocked with brooks and browns.

It is a tributary to Buffalo Creek, which is stocked with browns and rainbows.

It is also listed as a stream that "supports natural reproduction" by the PFCB.

I was wondering if anyone had any info or knew anything about this stream? Ive driven past it in the late spring/summer and its been bone dry countless times. Ive never fished it for one reason or another.

Im assuming the brown trout are the ones reproducing as I cant imagine brook trout reproducing in any stream around here.

Its the closest stream to me that "supports natural reproduction" and I can be there within 2o minutes of leaving work. Once day light savings time rolls back around and it starts staying light out after work, it seems it may be worth a look.

I cannot find any info on the water quality - I typically look at this aspect for when searching for wild trout.

But for the time being until I can explore this stream, can any one shed any light on this?

Thanks

Arrowhead Chapter of TU is on Facebook, maybe you can shoot them a message as I know they've done a lot of stream improvement work on Buffalo and could shed some insight on this.

I grew up by Ford City but never made it to this creek, but had heard about it growing up. No one ever mentioned wild fish so i'm guessing maybe a survey had 1 or 2 fish show up.

By comparison, I think the last survey they did at Little Sewickley Creek, even though it's a high quality cold water stream, only had 1 brown trout show up I recall, which would be enough to get it on the lists...

Thanks for the advice. .

I finally had some time to dig around and so some searching and I came up with the "Buffalo Creek Water Conservation Plan" done by the Audobon Society of Western PA - http://aswp.us/files/rcp/bcwcp_final/BCWCP_Final_Plan_Complete.pdf

Certain fish species are of important recreational (and in some cases economic) importance. The upper and central portions of the watershed are variously classified by PaDEP as High Quality Cold Water Fishery and High Quality Trout Stocked Fishery waters. Brook Trout, Brown Trout, and Rainbow Trout occur in the main stem and larger tributaries throughout this area. Native populations of Brook Trout occur in a number of smaller tributaries as well. The lower portion of the watershed is listed as a Trout Stocked Fishery water, but is currently not used for this purpose. Instead, the lower reach of the main stem and Little Buffalo Creek provide a notable Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomieu) fishery.

AND

Fishing is an important recreational and economic activity in the watershed. The upper and central portions of the watershed are variously classified by PaDEP as High Quality Cold Water Fishery and High Quality Trout Stocked Fishery waters.

Brook Trout, Brown Trout, and Rainbow Trout occur in the main stem and larger tributaries throughout this area. Native populations of Brook Trout occur in some smaller tributaries as well. The Pennsylvania Trout and Salmon Fishing Guide (Sajna 1988) refers to the main stem as “A pretty, surprisingly isolated stream, considering its proximity to Pittsburgh. Buffalo Creek is stocked for 7.2 miles in Butler County and 17.9 in Armstrong County. It is the heaviest stocked stream in Armstrong County and among the heaviest in Butler.” Little Buffalo Run and Patterson Creek are stocked for a total of about eight miles, and portions of Cornplanter Run are stocked.

A 3.7-mile section of Buffalo Creek from Little Buffalo Run downstream to 0.6 mile above S.R. 4035 in Craigsville is regulated as a delayed harvest artificial lure only (DHALO) area by the PFBC.

The lower portion of the watershed is listed as a Trout Stocked Fishery. Sections of Cornplanter Run are currently stocked with both Brook Trout and Brown Trout. The lower reach
of the main stem and Little Buffalo Creek provide a regionally notable Smallmouth Bass fishery.

This provides some info, but really doesnt answer any questions.

I am actually a member of the Arrowhead Chapter. Ive been for about a year now, but have missed all the events/meetings due to work schedule conflicts. A few months ago, they actually did a presentation on "Finding Wild Brown Trout in Unlikely Places", which I am upset I missed.

I grew up in Leechburg, and have fished Buffalo Creek, but can't say I ever fished Cornplanter. Sorry.

Addition to the Natural Reproduction list requires multiple year classes to be present, so the presence of 1 trout would not qualify a stream. To qualify for Class A status, the biomass must be present at at Class A level in two consecutive samplings.

Samplings are just snapshots - sometimes they accurately capture the overall general yearly biomass of the stream and other times, they reflect a transient population of fish.

Best way to find out is to fish it :)

Thanks for the info. Do we know exactly what it takes to have a stream added to the natural reproduction list? Whats the biomass limit?

pcray1231 wrote:
I grew up in Leechburg, and have fished Buffalo Creek, but can't say I ever fished Cornplanter. Sorry.

No biggy. What part of Leechburg? I live in Upper Burrell.

I did some more research, and came up with some other interesting information -

Less than 3 miles upstream there is another feeder stream, called Rough Run. It flows in near the West Winfield Bridge. It also flows in from the west just like Cornplanter Run does. There are 2 streams that feed into Rough Run that are currently on the PFCB list of "streams being considered for wild trout designation" - Sarver Run & an unnamed tributary.

So someone has taken the time to study these 2 watersheds and have found some wild trout in both watersheds. Interesting.

The more I research this, the more I want to get out and actually check these streams out now

steveo27 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Do we know exactly what it takes to have a stream added to the natural reproduction list? Whats the biomass limit?

Here is the qualification for streams with natural reproduction of trout.

From Mike K....
To qualify as a wild trout stream candidate we needed to collect multiple wild trout from at least two year classes or collect three fingerlings.

No biggy. What part of Leechburg? I live in Upper Burrell.

Gilpin Township, near rt. 66 a few miles north of town. Moved out of the area after HS graduation (1998), but obviously get back now and again to visit family.

SteveO27, you are neighbors with ProFormance. I think he's by Burrell Lake Park.

We should all get together sometime to fish (if we haven't already), I'm bad with remembering real names vs. stream-names.

I've been Spot Burned by DanL

Hahaha, there's gonna be guys lined up shoulder to shoulder there saturday.

DanL wrote:
SteveO27, you are neighbors with ProFormance. I think he's by Burrell Lake Park.

We should all get together sometime to fish (if we haven't already), I'm bad with remembering real names vs. stream-names.

Im always game. We may have crossed paths before at some point.

Maurice, thanks for the info.

I live in the Rough Run drainage, and I have fished Cornplanter numerous times. While I don't doubt there is reproduction there, I have not caught anything but stockies and I have fished almost the entire length of it. It is stocked preseason at 2 access points and gets some local pressure. I also think there was a TIC stocking on it a couple years ago. It is an interesting stream for the area, but there are some access issues.

I think the Rough Run tribs were added due to surveys in response to the Marcellus drilling in the area. Honestly, I don't know if you can even access either of those streams.

Cornplanter Run in Armstrong Co.

It is listed by the PFCB as a stocked stream, stocked with brooks and browns.

It is a tributary to Buffalo Creek, which is stocked with browns and rainbows.

It is also listed as a stream that "supports natural reproduction" by the PFCB.

I was wondering if anyone had any info or knew anything about this stream? Ive driven past it in the late spring/summer and its been bone dry countless times. Ive never fished it for one reason or another.

Im assuming the brown trout are the ones reproducing as I cant imagine brook trout reproducing in any stream around here.

Its the closest stream to me that "supports natural reproduction" and I can be there within 2o minutes of leaving work. Once day light savings time rolls back around and it starts staying light out after work, it seems it may be worth a look.

I cannot find any info on the water quality - I typically look at this aspect for when searching for wild trout.

But for the time being until I can explore this stream, can any one shed any light on this?

Thanks
It's small but cold, accessible, and very active. Cold water supports brook and browns nearly all year. I've caught my limit drpooing redworms 2 feet from the tip of my rod all while hiding behind the same tree. NOt native but wild and once they're spooked, it's over. Definitely try it,

Back