Corn = gold sucker spawn

Acristickid

Acristickid

Don't know the regs on this as I don't bait fish but I was doing some fishing for carp in an area well know for carp.

There were a couple guys fishing with corn and they hid the corn cause they thought it was illegal to use. I really didn't think it was illegal but I don't know. This was in an ATW. It's stocked for trout but it warms so there are SM and carp to fish in the summer months.

Another thing I wasn't sure about was chumming with corn before fishing?

Are either or both of these methods illegal?

Not sure about the legality- to my knowledge it is legal to use corn. Chumming anything I believe is not legal.

Ethics are a different story. To my knowledge fishes digestive systems cannot process corn (much like us Haha) therefore it can bloat them among other issues and in theory kill them if they are gorging on it.

Well, it was highly effective.

Corn is legal in bait areas and sucker spawn is legal everywhere. Chumming is allowed, but excessive chumming can draw a littering fine. No kidding. I always throw a half dozen poorly tied Royal Wulffs into a run before I fish it. :cool:

Can of corn with a few drops of vanilla extract in it is excellent chum for carp.

I believe it is pronounced Kern.

According to local Coburn residents sitting on a cooler. The story goes; PaulG was driving around along Penns Creek Road one opening day weekend when Penns was up in the bushes and muddy. He stopped by the only people fishing, two guys sitting on a cooler. He asked how's the fishing? Thinking it was a redundant question....but it wasn't. The feller said" fishins Ok" and stood up and opened the cooler where four wild browns lie on ice, two of which were approaching 20". When Paul put his eyes back in their sockets, he asked what are they biting on? After a pause and a tabaccer spit the feller said in a slow draw....Kerrrn.

(Drops mic)

Thank you, Don't forget to tip yer waitresses.

Corn is not harmful to trout; they still grow, but just not as well as on some other foods. As for other fish species, those that are omnivorous or primarily vegetarians should have no trouble with corn.

JackM wrote:
Corn is legal in bait areas and sucker spawn is legal everywhere. Chumming is allowed, but excessive chumming can draw a littering fine. No kidding. I always throw a half dozen poorly tied Royal Wulffs into a run before I fish it. :cool:

I thought that I was the only one to get rid of my poorly tied flies this way! Lol

JackM wrote:

It took me a minute but I get jokes. That one made be laugh after jifigz explained it for me.

Maurice there are many corn dunkers in Coburn they use it religiously.

Yeah, 30-40 years ago I fished with a group that caught a lot of trout on corn on Penns from Coburn to the top of the Catch and Release area. This stretch was stocked heavily back then. We caught a lot of stockies with some wild fish mixed in, some real nice wild and stocked fish. A lot of days corn fishermen did better than the minnow fishermen. We always thought they were taking the corn for eggs. I used to salt the corn.

Some of the best minnow fishermen were and are around the Coburn area have talked to many of them and heard many stories.

Corn is WAY better than any sucker spawn imitations.When I fish Penns I carry corn, minnows and wax worms. And I even have a jar of powerbait just in case. Corn works best out of all of them year around. But really the most important thing is not the bait but to get a natural drift....Just ask any good nympher! Corn on a flyrod is deadly. I hit all the cool tribs where they stack up after the water gets good and warm! Wild trout sure are tasty!

fox take your white lace stalkings off

For Musky I rig up a whole ear

Do you "walk the cob"?

Thanks for the advice! I fished corn on penns today and caught my limit of nice fall colored brown trout all 5 on my stringer 20+"

laszlo wrote:
For Musky I rig up a whole ear

Haha, that one made me laugh,.

You all need to step up your game. This year I started tying articulated corn streamers. It's basically a feathered game changer mod with corn tied inbetween brown schlapen..... It's a perfect yellow speckled brown trout immitation.

Niblets is the prefered brand. GG

Back