Cork it!

Baron

Baron

I recently acquired a wonderful Wright McGill 7’ fly rod, an early model, 50’s or 60’s I guess. The cork was filthy but undamaged. I cleaned it with isopropyl alc and years of grime fell off revealing a beautiful cork grip. It is dry. Probably at the end. Would u-40 Cork sealant or something else help preserve whatever life is left in it? Do any of you have experience with this or similar cork preserver?

Before and After:

Attachments

• 18287-041cbe077b0df26d199d5382ea76e72e.jpg
    18287-041cbe077b0df26d199d5382ea76e72e.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 18288-b21cf10f245aaf6010a8f783b2a0ecf7.jpg
    18288-b21cf10f245aaf6010a8f783b2a0ecf7.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 3
Cork treatments will change the finish and texture of the cork. Try them on some scrap before committing. Personally, I prefer to keep my grips clean using alcohol as you did.

Cleaning cork with alcohol, especially old cork is a bad idea. It dissolves the natural oils in the cork and will eventually lead to ridging as the cork ages further.

Dawn or other detergent is also bad for the same reasons. Magic Erasers are abrasive and lead to ridging as well. In addition, over aggressive and repeated cleaning can chip the grip and knock out filler.

If you feel compelled to clean cork grips, the best and safest method is to use plain old Ivory Soap and water on a SOFT sponge or rag, apply LIGHT pressure, DON'T scrub and go around the grip, not along its length, being especially careful at either end of the grip.

As was mentioned, U40 does slightly darken grips but I guess it does offer some protection however, I have no idea if it will prevent ridging.

To be honest, the oils in your skin are the best thing for keeping cork resilient so “fishing” with it can’t hurt. However, if the grip was mistreated during its life and is drying out, you will have to replace it eventually.

This particular grip silhouette is perfect, undamaged and in the shape of the only true fly rod handle.......Cigar, lol. It is dried out, has minor ridging and will need replacement down the road. The real reason I bought it is that a friend used my old WM re-wrap and loved it. Then he asked me to find one for him and I did. He will have me or a pro re-wrap it when the wrappings start popping. You see Iwas really after the blank but was surprised to find this baby in fishable condition. I had forgotten how soft Ivory soap is and will get some soon. I may try the U'40 to diminish spalting and ridging until the new owner is ready for a new grip.
I am also old enough to say that I bough 1950's Herrick-Ibbotson Spin Cast rod. And I will proudly fish it around bridges and so forth with a period reel such as an old Johnson Century. I haven't found the reel yet but I will someday. Its all about fun.

When i felt it necessary to clean a cork rod handle or grip, I've always used a baking soda/water slurry and a soft or medium toothbrush and it seems to work pretty well.

I don't often clean my rod handles though. I almost always catch fewer fish with a rod with a clean grip...

I've cleaned and refurbished dozens of cork grips over decades with isopropyl alcohol and never had an issue with ridging. I learned it from a master, Jack Mickievicz.

I'd have liked to meet Mickievicz. However I think that in the course of restoring and trying to 'know what you have' Alcohol is fine. If I want to clean my cork grips often I'd consider treating them every time and use milder cleaners. Isopryl gets them perfectly clean, great for presenting them to new owners. Thanks Outsider.

Try unscented baby wipes. Works like a charm. Cleans without removing material.

I will try that. I’ll have to snatch some of them from my kids diaper bags. Isn’t that alcohol?

My experience has been that iso alchohol is not an issue, but any single rod of mine may only be cleaned once or twice a year in that way. Also, note that I do not soak the grip or put the rod away until the grip is totally dry. I just dampen a paper towel with alchohol and wipe/scrub away the grunge.

The magic eraser cleaning pads do work very well also. They are slightly abrasive. Similarly very fine grit paper can be used (800+) and removes virtually no material unless you really go crazy.

Some old rods will have deteriorated cork and I don't think it has anything to do with alcohol or cleaning, however attempting to clean it will reveal the poor condition. Such cork will typically have a very hard outer layer and be very grumbly and dry once that layer is removed. In the case of collectable/valuable rods it is probably best to leave grips alone.

Some old rods will have deteriorated cork and I don't think it has anything to do with alcohol or cleaning, however attempting to clean it will reveal the poor condition. Such cork will typically have a very hard outer layer and be very grumbly and dry once that layer is removed. In the case of collectable/valuable rods it is probably best to leave grips alone.

That is where this grip is. The "Grumbly" areas are begining to fall out leaving a ridge. It won't be long until it needs either a deeper sanding to get below this area of crumbliness or to have a new grip installed.

I've seen Outsider's wonderful restoration work on numerous rods and he is a real craftsman.

Pennkev , I stand embarrassed as I don't ever clean my handles this deeply. Not until I'm ready to show them or post them for others to see.

Back