Cork filler

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I have an older fly rod that needs some work on the cork. The cork has some voids in it that need filling. I once tried plastic wood as a filler and sanded it down – it didn’t work very well. I’ve read that some use cork shavings/dust and mix it with white wood glue. Has anyone tired this, or any other method that worked?

I once used cork filings and 30 minute epoxy. I didn't have too much to build up, but it worked well.

The only tips I can give you are: file up a whole lot more cork dust than you think you'll need. You won't have time to file more. Use 30 minute epoxy, not 10. You'll want the extra set time. The epoxy gets very thick with all the cork dust. So it sets faster than 30 minutes.

I have used the cork shavings/dust and wood glue technique with good results. They sell a tan/yellowish wood glue that will dry closer to your cork color, but if you do it right, you really aren't wanting to see a lot of glue. The glue should be just enough to make the cork shavings into a paste. I would even consider squishing out most of the liquid after mixing thoroughly then filling the cracks and holes.

I've used wood filler to fill the voids in cork with good success. I just fill it with excess, let it dry and harden then sand it down. The color is close, not perfect, but it's better than having the voids. If you're concerned about asthetics of the rod, you could always consider having the cork replaced. Just my two cents

I've done the cork shaving/dust and wood glue with success. You can even sand it when you;'re done.

Back